The Student Room Group

Award Funding

What would you advise if you got an unconditional offer of admission to a university and fail to win a scholarship?
Original post by Heston Murimi
What would you advise if you got an unconditional offer of admission to a university and fail to win a scholarship?

That would very much depend on:

(1) whether the lack of scholarship means that you don't have the financial means to attend that particular university,
(2) what other offers - unconditional or otherwise you have,
(3) whether those other offers have conditions that you feel reasonably comfortable meeting, and
(4) whether or not those other offers have scholarships attached.

The offer is unconditional, meaning i have met all the University Conditions but then lack funds to facilitate my study in the same university.
The offer is unconditional, meaning i have met all the University Conditions but then lack funds to facilitate my study in the same university.

My questions were trying to understand what options you have. Have you really only applied to one university? So if you can't attend this one, because it won't provide a scholarship, what will you do instead?
Was thinking of applying for education loan or even work by helping the Professors to get paid stipend to sustain my stay in the college.
What's your advice?
Was thinking of applying for education loan or even work by helping the Professors to get paid stipend to sustain my stay in the college.
What's your advice?

My advise would be to re-read this thread and start answering some of the questions within it.

I'm particularly keen to understand whether or not you applied to other universities and received other offers. It would be extremely unusual (and fool hardy) to make just one application and then end up with no options if that application doesn't go the way you wanted it to.

It's also now occurred to be that we don't even know if your unconditional offer is for an undergraduate graduate degree or a postgraduate degree, whether the university concerned is in the UK or not, and whether you are a UK or international student. All those questions impact the financial help which might be available to you.

By the way, getting a loan (to pay for the tuition fees and or living costs) is extremely common in the UK. The fact that you've only just mentioned that option makes me think you're not UK-based. Also, working alongside studying is very common in the UK, and the loans available are rarely sufficient.

If you are a PhD student then it is possible to earn a modest amount of money, e.g. by demonstrating in labs, but there is no possibility of this being sufficient to support you completely through a degree. If you are an undergrad then the opportunity for paid work from a Prof is near zero during term time as you simply won’t have a relevant skill set.
Now, I apologize for not making things clear.

My name is Heston Murimi an International undergraduate student pursuing to do my postgraduate In Civil Engineering in either Europe, USA or Australia and I come from from Kenya. I applied for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships (CSS) in two Universities (because I heard of the scholarship late and time was running out) i.e. Cranefield and Durham. Besides, I have applied and continued to apply to other scholarships in in the above-mentioned regions which am yet to hear from most of them.

Now, this is how Commonwealth Scholarships work. You send two applications, one to the University and the other to Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC). When you fulfil all the university requirements, you get an unconditional offer for admission. During the stipulated time by CSC, the Universities are required to send to the CSC a list of the students its nominates for Scholarship. The CSC then checks on the eligibility of those nominated and give the scholarship following their criteria.

For my case I reached the point of getting the offer at Durham University but never got nominated for CSS. My alternative plans as I said and as I continue to applying for more scholarships is to look for International student loans for my studies. Besides, if I can secure a job in any of the countries based in Europe, USA or Australia it would be my joy to cos then I can plan how to facilitate for my studies par time. All these are plans that have already ventured and all I need of us now is guidelines.

Thank You to you all.

My name is Heston Murimi an International undergraduate student pursuing to do my postgraduate In Civil Engineering in either Europe, USA or Australia and I come from from Kenya. I applied for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships (CSS) in two Universities (because I heard of the scholarship late and time was running out) i.e. Cranefield and Durham. Besides, I have applied and continued to apply to other scholarships in in the above-mentioned regions which am yet to hear from most of them.

Now, this is how Commonwealth Scholarships work. You send two applications, one to the University and the other to Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC). When you fulfil all the university requirements, you get an unconditional offer for admission. During the stipulated time by CSC, the Universities are required to send to the CSC a list of the students its nominates for Scholarship. The CSC then checks on the eligibility of those nominated and give the scholarship following their criteria.

For my case I reached the point of getting the offer at Durham University but never got nominated for CSS. My alternative plans as I said and as I continue to applying for more scholarships is to look for International student loans for my studies. Besides, if I can secure a job in any of the countries based in Europe, USA or Australia it would be my joy to cos then I can plan how to facilitate for my studies par time. All these are plans that have already ventured and all I need of us now is guidelines.

Thank You to you all.

Thank you very much for explaining all that. It certainly makes your situation a lot clearer.

Unfortunately, it seems that most of the Durham Postgraduate Scholarships (see here) are way past their application deadlines.

What's the situation with Cranfield? Did you receive an offer from there? Or are they still considering your application? Is there any chance of a scholarship there? (They appear to be listed beneath the "For international applicants " heading on this page.)

You say that, "I applied for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships (CSS) in two Universities (because I heard of the scholarship late and time was running out)..." Does that mean that you only applied for university in the first instance because you realised it was potentially affordable (via the scholarship) and would not have even applied for the postgraduate degrees otherwise?

I think the approach you're taking right now (applying for other scholarships and thinking of ways to self-fund by working alongside your postgraduate degree) is exactly the right one. Good luck.

My name is Heston Murimi an International undergraduate student pursuing to do my postgraduate In Civil Engineering in either Europe, USA or Australia and I come from from Kenya.

In that case, unless you can secure a scholarship to study in the UK or Europe the US may well be a better option. It is much more common to be able to work your way through a PhD as a teaching assistant or TA in the US than in the UK. The PhD will take significantly longer as a result, but it is typically easier for an international student to get funding that way, unless you have a very strong academic record as full PG scholarships for international students are always very competitive.

Thank You to you all.

Hi there,

Glad to hear you have applied to Cranfield, hopefully you will have a positive response to your application soon :smile:

Cranfield has a funding finder, linked below, that allows you to input your details (course type, nationality, etc.) to see what may be available to you. If your original choice of scholarship (CSS) isn’t successful, maybe you will have a chance with one of them.
https://search.cranfield.ac.uk/s/search.html?collection=cranfield-meta&f.Tabs%7Ccranfield-funding=Funding&_ga=2.159130490.1763197648.1681202320-823192391.1643980778&_gac=1.82312932.1680694118.Cj0KCQjwuLShBhC_ARIsAFod4fL3qz5PmuYERluHSZkrIVqcla6YsTWF-A_ix3sJQT5TNC4ZQI-9fscaAstrEALw_wcB
If you have already submitted an application, I would suggest getting in touch with your course director, or with our Student Funding and Scholarships team, to see if you can apply. I’ll leave the contact details for the Student Funding and Scholarships team here:
Phone: +44 (0)1234 758181
Email: [email protected]

Best of luck finding a source of funding!
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
I got a rejection letter from Cranfield.
I got a rejection letter from Cranfield.

Hi @Heston Murimi

Sorry to hear that, but wishing you the best of luck in finding the right course for you, and funding to allow you to continue your education!

Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending