The Student Room Group

estranged student

hi
I have been estranged from my mum since July 2023 due to domestic violence my whole life I have a supporting letter from a refugee worker currently waiting for sfe to make a decision I have two questions
1. is July too short off a time to be considered as estranged?
2. what is the maximum maintenance loan an estranged student can receive (per term)
1. There’s no minimum time. Generally SFE talk about 12 months as a guide but if your evidence for estrangement explains the situation then it should be fine.
2. Basically your maximum loan will be the maximum loan amount if you don’t have contact with either parent. You’ll be classed as an independent student and your household income will be your own unearned income (trust funds, income from property) plus the income of any live in partner/spouse. So in most cases your household income will be zero or close to it and you’ll be awarded the maximum loan.
Original post by jojo2730
hi
I have been estranged from my mum since July 2023 due to domestic violence my whole life I have a supporting letter from a refugee worker currently waiting for sfe to make a decision I have two questions
1. is July too short off a time to be considered as estranged?
2. what is the maximum maintenance loan an estranged student can receive (per term)

Hi there, We do not have a set timescale for this to be considered. You would need to send in evidence of estrangement. We would require a letter from a person of good standing in the community, for example a teacher, social worker or doctor. This letter should confirm the following:
- Their relationship to you and the length of time they have known you
- The reasons for the estrangement from both parents and when this occurred
- Current contact levels with both parents and if reconciliation is likely
In regards to funding the maximum amount of funding would be awarded if you are assessed as an Independent student.
Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending