The Student Room Group

Resitting a module

I have just finished my first year studying Business Management. In the first semester, I failed my Economics module and in the second semester when I did my resit I failed again. I know that without all my modules passed I will not be able to go onto second year. Will I be able to resit in the summer again or have I just failed university?
Original post by ilorena
I have just finished my first year studying Business Management. In the first semester, I failed my Economics module and in the second semester when I did my resit I failed again. I know that without all my modules passed I will not be able to go onto second year. Will I be able to resit in the summer again or have I just failed university?

Different universities have different policies. Which university are you attending?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Different universities have different policies. Which university are you attending?

Coventry University
Original post by ilorena
Coventry University

Coventry have slightly different regulations depending on the course. Also, a lot of the links on their web site confuse TSR, so I can link to them directly.

What you need to do is visit this page and scroll down to "Section 6 and 6b: Regulations for the Undergraduate Curriculum Framework". There you'll see a "Please refer to this document to find out which courses fall under which mode of the regulations" link. That will allow you to establish whether Section 6 (Mode C) or Section 6b (Mode E) applies. Then you can follow the link on that same page to the 2022-23 Section 6 or Section 6b regulations, as applicable.

There you will find this (I'm quoting from Section 6 here, not 6b):

"6.5 Progression
6.5.1 To progress from one stage of a course to a subsequent stage, whether by full-time or part-time study, a student must pass all modules required by the previous stage, which includes meeting any pre-requisite or any other requirement set out in the course definitive documentation.
6.5.2 Students who fail to attain sufficient modules to progress as set out in 6.5.1 above may at the discretion of the Progression and Awards Board:
a) be transferred onto a new course subject to eligibility and availability; or
b) be required to repeat the year, in whole or part, which may include proceeding on a further year of study at the same stage on a “mixed diet” of modules at different levels; or
c) be recommended to withdraw from the course; or
d) have their course terminated (see 4.1.4))."

So, even if you can't achieve a pass in that one module, there are options.

In terms of a second resit, this regulation would appear to rule that out:

"6.7.5 Reassessment by resit of a module shall be restricted to one attempt. This must normally be completed within the resit period associated with the academic session in which the module was studied and failed."

However, it is possible that even though you have failed the resit, it could be treated as if it were a pass. However, there are quite a few conditions which must be satisfied:

"6.7.9 A module failed at the resit attempt may be assigned as condoned and receive full credit at the discretion of the Progression and Awards Board subject to the following limitations:

a) the student shall have attained a minimum overall module mark of 30%. Marks between 29.5 and 30 inclusive shall be regarded as 30% for this purpose;
b) no more than 20 credits may be condoned at each of levels F, H or 4 plus no more than 20 credits at levels 5/6 (or above) combined, with a maximum of 40 credits overall in any programme of study;
c) the following types of modules may not be condoned: modules required for professional accreditation of any type; modules with a value over 20 credits, and any modules specified within the Course Specification as ineligible for condonement;
d) a student who has received recognised prior learning for any module(s) shall not be eligible for condonement;
e) condoned modules may not be used as RPL;
f) condoned modules may not be repeated or reassessed in any way;
g) condoned modules may not be raised to a pass;
h) modules for a top-up stage on any course, cannot be condoned;
i) any modules in which the student has been found guilty of academic misconduct, cannot be condoned at any attempt;
j) modules at levels 6 or above may not be condoned if by so doing, the student’s classification average would be lower than 40%;
k) the student shall have already passed at least 100 credits from the relevant stage."

All this gets quite complicated, so you're best to contact someone with the university itself for clarity. Perhaps the Students' Union can assist?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Coventry have slightly different regulations depending on the course. Also, a lot of the links on their web site confuse TSR, so I can link to them directly.

What you need to do is visit this page and scroll down to "Section 6 and 6b: Regulations for the Undergraduate Curriculum Framework". There you'll see a "Please refer to this document to find out which courses fall under which mode of the regulations" link. That will allow you to establish whether Section 6 (Mode C) or Section 6b (Mode E) applies. Then you can follow the link on that same page to the 2022-23 Section 6 or Section 6b regulations, as applicable.

There you will find this (I'm quoting from Section 6 here, not 6b):

"6.5 Progression
6.5.1 To progress from one stage of a course to a subsequent stage, whether by full-time or part-time study, a student must pass all modules required by the previous stage, which includes meeting any pre-requisite or any other requirement set out in the course definitive documentation.
6.5.2 Students who fail to attain sufficient modules to progress as set out in 6.5.1 above may at the discretion of the Progression and Awards Board:
a) be transferred onto a new course subject to eligibility and availability; or
b) be required to repeat the year, in whole or part, which may include proceeding on a further year of study at the same stage on a “mixed diet” of modules at different levels; or
c) be recommended to withdraw from the course; or
d) have their course terminated (see 4.1.4))."

So, even if you can't achieve a pass in that one module, there are options.

In terms of a second resit, this regulation would appear to rule that out:

"6.7.5 Reassessment by resit of a module shall be restricted to one attempt. This must normally be completed within the resit period associated with the academic session in which the module was studied and failed."

However, it is possible that even though you have failed the resit, it could be treated as if it were a pass. However, there are quite a few conditions which must be satisfied:

"6.7.9 A module failed at the resit attempt may be assigned as condoned and receive full credit at the discretion of the Progression and Awards Board subject to the following limitations:

a) the student shall have attained a minimum overall module mark of 30%. Marks between 29.5 and 30 inclusive shall be regarded as 30% for this purpose;
b) no more than 20 credits may be condoned at each of levels F, H or 4 plus no more than 20 credits at levels 5/6 (or above) combined, with a maximum of 40 credits overall in any programme of study;
c) the following types of modules may not be condoned: modules required for professional accreditation of any type; modules with a value over 20 credits, and any modules specified within the Course Specification as ineligible for condonement;
d) a student who has received recognised prior learning for any module(s) shall not be eligible for condonement;
e) condoned modules may not be used as RPL;
f) condoned modules may not be repeated or reassessed in any way;
g) condoned modules may not be raised to a pass;
h) modules for a top-up stage on any course, cannot be condoned;
i) any modules in which the student has been found guilty of academic misconduct, cannot be condoned at any attempt;
j) modules at levels 6 or above may not be condoned if by so doing, the student’s classification average would be lower than 40%;
k) the student shall have already passed at least 100 credits from the relevant stage."

All this gets quite complicated, so you're best to contact someone with the university itself for clarity. Perhaps the Students' Union can assist?

I will do, thank you very much and also thank you for going through all that trouble with the research.
Original post by ilorena
I will do, thank you very much and also thank you for going through all that trouble with the research.

You're very welcome. It was hardly any trouble at all. I recalled someone else at Coventry had a similar question not so long ago, so I knew exactly where to find the relevant regulations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending