The Student Room Group

New course

So basically I’m a university student and is my first year and I’m doing computer science but I would love to do graphic design as a side education but I can’t do it online I lose motivation, so I was thinking about going to college to do so but I don’t know if I can do that because as you know I’m already in university and there’s a college near me that does this course but they do level 2 and level 3 so I don’t know if I can apply for it or not
Original post by shybutterfly
So basically I’m a university student and is my first year and I’m doing computer science but I would love to do graphic design as a side education but I can’t do it online I lose motivation, so I was thinking about going to college to do so but I don’t know if I can do that because as you know I’m already in university and there’s a college near me that does this course but they do level 2 and level 3 so I don’t know if I can apply for it or not

You should be able to, but I'm pretty confident your university won't like it. You will need to check whether there would be any clashes in schedules between the courses. If there are, you are not going to have an easy time.
My question is since you're technically in full time education supposedly doing 30-40 hours a week, how would you fit in a Level 2-3 qualification that equally demands 10-20 hours a week?

In any case, there's no harm in asking.

Just for the heads up, you don't need any qualifications to be a graphics designer, but you will need to be competent. See:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/graphic-designer
If anything, I would skip the level 2 and go straight to the level 3 where possible.

As you are at university, you should have completed Level 2 (e.g. GCSEs) and Level 3 (e.g. A Levels) or equivalents. Under the ELQ policy laid out by Student Finance (and universities), you would need to pay for next set of level 2s and 3s yourself i.e. it's no longer free. These can cost from a few hundreds up to a few thousand pounds. You can try looking into Advanced Learner Loan for funding, but if you're doing uni they would be asking the same questions I would be asking: why are you applying for a college course when you're still at uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending