The Student Room Group

PhD funding

I started my PhD in Feb 2021 and it was funded- but not by a UKRI. Other students funded by the same funder as me have been successful in their application for the full doctoral loan, so I know it is possible and not breaking any rules. The funding is for 3 years, but all of us are registered as students with the University until the end of Jan 2025 to allow for a year in 'submission pending'.
However, I started my PhD whilst I was finishing a distance Master's course (3 years to complete, completion date August 2022) at another university. I received £10,500 for this loan.
So, I would like to know if I am allowed to receive the loan as I was receiving a postgraduate loan for the first 18 months of my PhD to fund my Masters?
Would I be able to apply for funding just between September 2022-January 2025?
Original post by Orthop
I started my PhD in Feb 2021 and it was funded- but not by a UKRI. Other students funded by the same funder as me have been successful in their application for the full doctoral loan, so I know it is possible and not breaking any rules. The funding is for 3 years, but all of us are registered as students with the University until the end of Jan 2025 to allow for a year in 'submission pending'.
However, I started my PhD whilst I was finishing a distance Master's course (3 years to complete, completion date August 2022) at another university. I received £10,500 for this loan.
So, I would like to know if I am allowed to receive the loan as I was receiving a postgraduate loan for the first 18 months of my PhD to fund my Masters?
Would I be able to apply for funding just between September 2022-January 2025?

Hi there,

You may be eligible for support however, this is treated on a case by case basis, so you would need to apply ad confirm to the assessors when the masters course ended so that they can determine your eligibility.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

You may be eligible for support however, this is treated on a case by case basis, so you would need to apply ad confirm to the assessors when the masters course ended so that they can determine your eligibility.

Thanks, Clare

Hi Claire,

So, I'm presuming I'd have to call SFE to have this assessed rather than go through the website as it just closes down my application when I try to put details in?
Furthermore, what would classify as proof?

BW
Sean
Original post by Orthop
Hi Claire,

So, I'm presuming I'd have to call SFE to have this assessed rather than go through the website as it just closes down my application when I try to put details in?
Furthermore, what would classify as proof?

BW
Sean

Hi Sean,

You would need to call to have the application sent out to you if your course started in 21/22.

0300 100 0031

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending