The Student Room Group

Degrees :Economics VS Business

As a student looking at potential degree paths to enter , I am someone who isn't studying maths at A-Level . My question is simply whether business is a respectable degree . Ive been told its the 'btec' econ . Should I even consider business ?
I do English , French and Geography a-levels
Original post by charligyug
As a student looking at potential degree paths to enter , I am someone who isn't studying maths at A-Level . My question is simply whether business is a respectable degree . Ive been told its the 'btec' econ . Should I even consider business ?

If you're not doing A Level maths, you're not likely going to go on a quantiative economics degree. (I recommend people to take on A Level maths in their gap year, but it's not to everyone's taste).
Nonquantiative economics degrees are probably as good as any other degree, but it's not likely going to help you secure roles related to economics.

I am biased against business degrees, because I see it not being a necessary degree for most careers and you can learn a lot of the material via A Level Business studies i.e. you can do a £400 course that almost give you the same information as you would get in the degree. If I really want to push it, I would be doing the professional qualifications/certifications for specific roles in business, which are usually shorter and significantly cheaper than a single business degree e.g. accounting qualifications, marketing qualifications, HR qualifications, business analytics certificates, finance professional qualifications (a number of these would hold more weight in industry than a degree would).
There is next to no maths in business. The subjects that involve the most maths would be in finance, business mathematics, accounting (more management accounting), actuarial science, MORSE (more economics, but it's business related), and business analytics. Other than financial mathematics, actuarial science, and MORSE, you will struggle to find anything harder than AS Level Maths.
The only time when I would be looking into a business degree would be if I want to go into academic research in a business subject. In which case, you will be looking to do a top end MBA before you do your doctorate. Usually a master's in business related subjects don't usually have subject requirements from undergrad degree i.e. you can do a postgrad in business with a bachelor's in any random subject.

"Respectable degrees" are usually in subjects where they contain difficult subject matter and you need to work hard for it. You do have to work hard for business, but I think you might struggle to compare them with the likes of say STEM and law.
Having said that, I am a believer that you should study what you are passionate about and go into careers that brings you fulfilment. If that's in obscure subjects that nobody heard of or aren't particularly academic, so be it.

If you're looking to see what alternative subjects you can do with your A Levels (should you choose not to do more of them or some sort of alternative Level 3 course), then you would be eligible for the following:

Any English degree

Joint language degrees with French

Any geography degree

You would then be eligible to do a degree that would accept any random 3 A Levels (so if you exclude nonquantiative economics, and business):

Law

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Agriculture

Art and design

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Social work

If you have a specific career in mind, I would be able to better advise you on the above.
Hey, some unis allow you to attend their economics degree courses without a maths A level e.g. Loughborough (top 10 for economics). You are required to take the maths modules which would be optional for people with a maths A level.

With English, French and Geography as your A levels, you should consider International Business which will allow you to keep studying French alongside the business degree. People who can speak a second language are in short supply so you would be snapped up with a Business and French degree. Check out Birmingham's degree.
Do you like languages? I think there should be some good joint honours options with either economics or business.

Hi @charligyug,

I saw that someone mentioned Loughborough in relation to your question, so I thought I would post a link to our undergraduate courses here.

If you have any questions in the meantime, let me know :smile:

- Lindsay

Most leading universities wont accept you without A level Maths. However there are lots below that level that do and have Maths GCSE requirements. I show below a list I prepared a couple of years ago. You need to check in case things have changed but this will help you

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7