The Student Room Group

My friends SUCK

I have never been able to find friends who act like friends. Obviously I'm biased and there's probably plenty I do wrong but I always tend to feel super depressed or annoyed when I think about my friends (past and current).

I recently stopped being best friends with someone - from her point of view she said we just drifted apart. From my point of view, she randomly stopped texting me, never invited me out, started lying to me about stuff in her life or 'forgot' to tell me about big stuff in her life, started going round with my ex and rubbing it in my face, started talking bad about me behind my back to our mutuals, etc. She just started to be really off with me and she always made me feel horrible.

My current 'best friend'.. I have no idea what goes through her head and what her opinion on me is honestly. We've been 'friends' for 5/6 years now, we used to do all the kiddy stuff like shopping, bowling, cinema etc. and then we grew up and went out properly like dinner out, brunches, parties, clubbing, festivals, holidays, etc. but randomly stopped doing everything. She's not depressed or anything she just acts like she hates me. She'll do all that stuff with her other friends but whenever I ask her to meet she'll say no. To absolutely everything. In 2022 we met up twice. We're both at uni, she moved far away I moved to a local uni, she has those reading weeks twice a year, I tried to meet up with her when I didn't have class she always said no she doesn't want to travel on a train for 30 mins, I should skip class and come to her.

I still ask her to go to concerts, parties, festivals, holidays etc. but she says nah not my thing don't want to do that. Fair enough her tastes can change but she'll do those things with her other friends. Every time we have a conversation she annoys me and I think what is the point of having her in my life.

You would think I should 'take the hint', 'she doesn't like you' blah blah, but she keeps msging me saying we need to meet up she misses me??????? And on the 1% chance she says yeah to something I try and plan, she ALWAYS cancels the day before with some obviously fake excuse. We were supposed to meet up today but she was like 'oops sorry forgot I promised my mum I'd go for a walk with her'. And she never does anything she says she has planned and when I confront her she says 'oh yeah ended up not doing it/cancelled last minute'.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIND DECENT FRIENDS. I HAVE THE WORST LUCK IN THE WORLD WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDSHIPS. i've never had a long-term friend ik 5/6 years is long but I mean actual proper best friend relationship not what we have.

At uni as well, I had a friend who seemed fine then just started badmouthing me, ditching me every time we went out, and I paid a lot of money for a concert which she paid for as well but she's rich unlike me who is incredibly poor, she promised she would go with me and we planned it for months. Day before she's like 'I've gone to Newcastle' (we are in London for uni) and I was like what about the concert, she goes oh I'll be back. Was she back? No. and I lost all my money and I'm not friends with her anymore.

And I have a 'uni best friend' who just gives me weird vibes. She's better than any friend I've had even though I've known her for like 3 months but sometimes she looks at me weird, sometimes lies, and just sometimes makes comments that a best friend wouldn't say. It's not awful like we're still insanely close and I KNOW my luck she said she might drop out and Ik we'll get closer and then she won't be here anymore

anyway so yeah my luck sucks. I hate my life. Why can I never make friends who are actually friends? You would think I'm the problem (and I probs am coming across bad in this post but i'm stressed because friend 2 just cancelled more plans again) but everyone just treats me like sht
Original post by fudgeyx
I have never been able to find friends who act like friends. Obviously I'm biased and there's probably plenty I do wrong but I always tend to feel super depressed or annoyed when I think about my friends (past and current).

I recently stopped being best friends with someone - from her point of view she said we just drifted apart. From my point of view, she randomly stopped texting me, never invited me out, started lying to me about stuff in her life or 'forgot' to tell me about big stuff in her life, started going round with my ex and rubbing it in my face, started talking bad about me behind my back to our mutuals, etc. She just started to be really off with me and she always made me feel horrible.

My current 'best friend'.. I have no idea what goes through her head and what her opinion on me is honestly. We've been 'friends' for 5/6 years now, we used to do all the kiddy stuff like shopping, bowling, cinema etc. and then we grew up and went out properly like dinner out, brunches, parties, clubbing, festivals, holidays, etc. but randomly stopped doing everything. She's not depressed or anything she just acts like she hates me. She'll do all that stuff with her other friends but whenever I ask her to meet she'll say no. To absolutely everything. In 2022 we met up twice. We're both at uni, she moved far away I moved to a local uni, she has those reading weeks twice a year, I tried to meet up with her when I didn't have class she always said no she doesn't want to travel on a train for 30 mins, I should skip class and come to her.

I still ask her to go to concerts, parties, festivals, holidays etc. but she says nah not my thing don't want to do that. Fair enough her tastes can change but she'll do those things with her other friends. Every time we have a conversation she annoys me and I think what is the point of having her in my life.

You would think I should 'take the hint', 'she doesn't like you' blah blah, but she keeps msging me saying we need to meet up she misses me??????? And on the 1% chance she says yeah to something I try and plan, she ALWAYS cancels the day before with some obviously fake excuse. We were supposed to meet up today but she was like 'oops sorry forgot I promised my mum I'd go for a walk with her'. And she never does anything she says she has planned and when I confront her she says 'oh yeah ended up not doing it/cancelled last minute'.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIND DECENT FRIENDS. I HAVE THE WORST LUCK IN THE WORLD WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDSHIPS. i've never had a long-term friend ik 5/6 years is long but I mean actual proper best friend relationship not what we have.

At uni as well, I had a friend who seemed fine then just started badmouthing me, ditching me every time we went out, and I paid a lot of money for a concert which she paid for as well but she's rich unlike me who is incredibly poor, she promised she would go with me and we planned it for months. Day before she's like 'I've gone to Newcastle' (we are in London for uni) and I was like what about the concert, she goes oh I'll be back. Was she back? No. and I lost all my money and I'm not friends with her anymore.

And I have a 'uni best friend' who just gives me weird vibes. She's better than any friend I've had even though I've known her for like 3 months but sometimes she looks at me weird, sometimes lies, and just sometimes makes comments that a best friend wouldn't say. It's not awful like we're still insanely close and I KNOW my luck she said she might drop out and Ik we'll get closer and then she won't be here anymore

anyway so yeah my luck sucks. I hate my life. Why can I never make friends who are actually friends? You would think I'm the problem (and I probs am coming across bad in this post but i'm stressed because friend 2 just cancelled more plans again) but everyone just treats me like sht

I dont do any of those stuff i.e party, cinema etc. My relationship with my friends is just based on stuff like, ok now that I think about it no idea i just have known my friends for a long time. But it happens, I have known people for 5 years but they decided to go down a route I dont want to be a part of. Thats life, you click with some people, others you dont, you break up with some friends or you may not have friends at all. But my sincere advice is, have a clear bottom line/ clear morales. With me and my friends we have a clear understanding, be on time with appointments, no back chatting etc. And when you first make a potential friend, probe thrm out a bit. Get a feel of their personality.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I dont do any of those stuff i.e party, cinema etc. My relationship with my friends is just based on stuff like, ok now that I think about it no idea i just have known my friends for a long time. But it happens, I have known people for 5 years but they decided to go down a route I dont want to be a part of. Thats life, you click with some people, others you dont, you break up with some friends or you may not have friends at all. But my sincere advice is, have a clear bottom line/ clear morales. With me and my friends we have a clear understanding, be on time with appointments, no back chatting etc. And when you first make a potential friend, probe thrm out a bit. Get a feel of their personality.

yeah it's just annoying because they start out being normal and we get on super well, but then it's just like they reveal their true selves and they always end up treating me horribly for no reason :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Autotrail
My friends swallow

That is absolutely hilarious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending