The Student Room Group

Integrated masters to PhD?

I'm considering studying MSci biochemistry at Warwick for my undergrad course. I'm also considering MSci with joint honours in biology and chemistry at Durham. Both of these are integrated masters courses. I was wondering if I'd be able to apply for DPhil or a PhD at Oxford or Cambridge with either of these? Both unis want an honours degree, but would an integrated masters be able to do this? Or would the joint honours from Durham be okay? thank you for help:smile:
Yes, either would be fine. An "honours degree" is any classed (i.e. 2:1, 1st, etc) undergraduate degree (i.e. not an ordinary degree, which you can't usually apply to directly and is just offered as an exit award if you fail certain components of the degree, like the dissertation...in which case a PhD isn't happening anyway usually). The fact it's an undergraduate masters course does not change that. It's very typical for people to go from MSci/etc courses to PhDs directly, in STEM fields at least.

Note that "biochemistry" is not the same as "biology and chemistry". A degree in biochemistry is fundamentally a bioscience degree focusing on molecular biology. There will be some ancillary chemistry content but 90% of the course is going to be biology. If you want to continue studying chemistry in a meaningful way past A-level you should look at chemistry degrees (including joint honours courses).

Also as an aside, Warwick isn't especially well known for biosciences or chemistry. Their flagship department is maths, and their other standout departments are the business school, economics, and CS, plus somewhat notable offerings in classical archaeology and art history.
Reply 2
Thank you that’s very helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, either would be fine. An "honours degree" is any classed (i.e. 2:1, 1st, etc) undergraduate degree (i.e. not an ordinary degree, which you can't usually apply to directly and is just offered as an exit award if you fail certain components of the degree, like the dissertation...in which case a PhD isn't happening anyway usually). The fact it's an undergraduate masters course does not change that. It's very typical for people to go from MSci/etc courses to PhDs directly, in STEM fields at least.

Note that "biochemistry" is not the same as "biology and chemistry". A degree in biochemistry is fundamentally a bioscience degree focusing on molecular biology. There will be some ancillary chemistry content but 90% of the course is going to be biology. If you want to continue studying chemistry in a meaningful way past A-level you should look at chemistry degrees (including joint honours courses).

Also as an aside, Warwick isn't especially well known for biosciences or chemistry. Their flagship department is maths, and their other standout departments are the business school, economics, and CS, plus somewhat notable offerings in classical archaeology and art history.

Is Durham good for Biology and/or chemistry?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by SignOut

Have you considered natural sciences at Durham?
Original post by SignOut

I believe they're pretty well regarded for their natural sciences course which incorporates the joint honours for those two courses if I'm not mistaken?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending