The Student Room Group

University of Manchester Should I be Worried with Recent News

I'm a US student who was accepted for my Masters at University of Manchester. However, after researching, I noticed that there was some upheaval at the school. Does anyone who attend have any more information? Should I continue to pursue my education at Manchester or should I go elsewhere?
Just don’t stay in their accommodation and you’ll be fine
Original post by Hotheaded
Just don’t stay in their accommodation and you’ll be fine

I'm an online student so I won't need to stay there, but I was worried with some of the information circulating about pulling the plug on degrees, and their curriculum. Thank you! I just do not wish to invest this much money into a university if there is an issue with curriculum and obtaining my degree.
Original post by Egyptlover94
I'm an online student so I won't need to stay there, but I was worried with some of the information circulating about pulling the plug on degrees, and their curriculum. Thank you! I just do not wish to invest this much money into a university if there is an issue with curriculum and obtaining my degree.

Could you please link to where you heard this?
Original post by KA_P
Could you please link to where you heard this?

This was word from mouth from someone that my father knows in the UK. They said that its been a few tumultuous years at Manchester since 2020. What I could find online was mostly about the rent protests in both 2020 and 2023, along with some issues of not lowering tuition due to keeping the students mostly online. I'm just curious if anyone in the UK knows more about this, because I had to fight US University systems for my degree during the 2020 pandemic and I was fully online prior.
This was word from mouth from someone that my father knows in the UK. They said that its been a few tumultuous years at Manchester since 2020. What I could find online was mostly about the rent protests in both 2020 and 2023, along with some issues of not lowering tuition due to keeping the students mostly online. I'm just curious if anyone in the UK knows more about this, because I had to fight US University systems for my degree during the 2020 pandemic and I was fully online prior.

Lowering tuition is an old issue and has nothing to do with the rent strikes currently happening- they are to do with poor conditions of the accommodation.

The word of mouth information seems to be inaccurate- I have not heard of anything like that happening at this uni

As mentioned above by @Hotheaded, word of mouth can be quite unreliable. If you are still concerned, it may be worth writing down what your father's friend said concisely and asking advice directly from the university on whether this information can be verified or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending