The Student Room Group

Can an 18 year old report own absence

I have turned 18, and moved out of my parents house, the school has emailed at the beginning of the year saying that is "must be reported by a parent rather than a student" however as I have A moved out and B am 18, I don't think I should have to get my parents involved in that, however after I emailed in sick today I received an email back saying they got in touch with my mom, is it legal to get in contact with my parents and is it legal to stop me from emailing in sick
Talk to them directly and clarify you are now your own household. If they had your mums number on file you can't blame them for calling it, ask them to remove it for everything but emergency purposes.
Generally speaking, once you turn 18 and are no longer living with your parents, you are considered an adult and are entitled to privacy rights. So the school should not disclose any 'personal information' to anyone without your consent, including your parents (being off sick qualifies).

The school's policy may involve them contacting 'emergency' contacts i.e. parents/guardians where they aren't informed of an absence but, as you've said, you informed them.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest