The Student Room Group

Dependent Leave to Remain - ELIGIBLE FOR STUDENT LOANS????

Hi guys, I hope you are well. Im wondering whether you would be able to help me.

I am a second-year college student (as of now 2023) looking to go to university this year but I don't know if I would be eligible for student loans as the visa/permit I have is a dependent leave to remain a child and it's not ILR (indefinite leave to remain).

I entered the UK on the 29th of June 2019 so I have only been in the UK for 4 years as of 2023 and apparently, you can't apply for ILR until you have been in the UK for three years. This ILR would according to student finance make me eligible for funding.

But I have also read that you can be eligible for student finance if you have reached 3 years of residency in the UK so I am a bit confused. Please can anyone advice or clarify whether I could go to Uni this year 2023 or would I really have to wait for another year?

Thanks.
18 years old Jairus
Original post by jairusvoltaire_
Hi guys, I hope you are well. Im wondering whether you would be able to help me.

I am a second-year college student (as of now 2023) looking to go to university this year but I don't know if I would be eligible for student loans as the visa/permit I have is a dependent leave to remain a child and it's not ILR (indefinite leave to remain).

I entered the UK on the 29th of June 2019 so I have only been in the UK for 4 years as of 2023 and apparently, you can't apply for ILR until you have been in the UK for three years. This ILR would according to student finance make me eligible for funding.

But I have also read that you can be eligible for student finance if you have reached 3 years of residency in the UK so I am a bit confused. Please can anyone advice or clarify whether I could go to Uni this year 2023 or would I really have to wait for another year?

Thanks.
18 years old Jairus

Hi there, you can find out more about the eligibility for funding here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Thanks, Karen
When you’re eligible for full support
You can apply for full support if all the following apply:

- you’re a UK national or Irish citizen or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
- you normally live in England
- you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years in a row before the first day of the first academic year of your course (apart from temporary absences such as holidays)

Hi, I have looked at the website and the only thing that I do not have is that I am not a UK national as I have dependent leave to remain visa.

Would the other two criteria make me eligible for funding?

Thanks,
Jairus
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, you can find out more about the eligibility for funding here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Thanks, Karen
When you’re eligible for full support
You can apply for full support if all the following apply:

- you’re a UK national or Irish citizen or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
- you normally live in England
- you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years in a row before the first day of the first academic year of your course (apart from temporary absences such as holidays)

Hi, I have looked at the website and the only thing that I do not have is that I am not a UK national as I have dependent leave to remain visa.

Would the other two criteria make me eligible for funding?

Thanks,
Jairus

What university and course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen
Hi Karen,

I am holding 5 uni offers at the minute. Lancaster University for Electrical and Electronic Engineering is my top choice. I believe it starts this September 2023 but for 2024 it starts in October.

I've deferred my entry to 2024 because I am not eligible for student loans for tuition fees, as some people say but some people also say I am qualified to go to university and student loans for tuition fees because I have been in the UK for 3 years.

So I'm a bit confused, I am making contingencies and plans either way like finding a place to work at the minute and trying to get a full-time job for a year if I am not eligible for loans but if I could go this year 2023... would really be beneficial for me as I have already been behind for a year.

Thanks, Jairus

Original post by SFE Karen
What university and course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen
Hi Karen,

I am holding 5 uni offers at the minute. Lancaster University for Electrical and Electronic Engineering is my top choice. I believe it starts this September 2023 but for 2024 it starts in October.

I've deferred my entry to 2024 because I am not eligible for student loans for tuition fees, as some people say but some people also say I am qualified to go to university and student loans for tuition fees because I have been in the UK for 3 years.

So I'm a bit confused, I am making contingencies and plans either way like finding a place to work at the minute and trying to get a full-time job for a year if I am not eligible for loans but if I could go this year 2023... would really be beneficial for me as I have already been behind for a year.

Thanks, Jairus

In order to be eligible for funding you must meet the below criteria.
- Have settled status in the UK (ILR, ILE, No Time Limit) or Settled Status awarded under the EU Settlement Scheme), this must have been granted before the first day of the first AY of their course
- Have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the three years prior to the first day of the first AY of their course, they need to provide Home Office status evidence for this period
- Be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first AY of their course

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending