The Student Room Group

Passed my driving test AMA

I’m never on TSR these days, jus thought I’d pop in and see if there’s anyone on here who’s learning how to drive or if they have a test coming up.. leave your questions below and I’ll answer.
Is it easy to pass the practical the first tome
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PastelColours

I read somewhere that like only 40% odd pass their tests first time. So nah it isn’t easy
Original post by PastelColours

Its a driving test, its not meant to be "easy". Its there to determine your skill and ability to drive safely and carry out manoeuvres.

I passed first time. I know others who didnt though. It depends on the individual who is driving.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AvfcWalpole7
Its a driving test, its not meant to be "easy". Its there to determine your skill and ability to drive safely and carry out manoeuvres.

I passed first time. I know others who didnt though. It depends on the individual who is driving.

Nice
Reply 5
1- Which part of driving do you think is the trickiest?

2- Among all the types of parkings, how do you find 'parallel reverse parking'?
Original post by Ab33r
1- Which part of driving do you think is the trickiest?

2- Among all the types of parkings, how do you find 'parallel reverse parking'?

Overall the hardest part of driving for me was judgement. I feel like having judgement is something that comes with experience and If you don’t have enough then this could be very challenging for you. Other than that, I would say like right turns (as silly as it may sound). Turning right can be very challenging, either at traffic lights or mid road. I heard that it’s one of the most dangerous things you can do when driving, crossing the path of other drivers. It took me so many lessons to perfect it.

Me and reverse parallel had a love hate relationship. There were days where I absolutely could not do it and it took me weeks and so many lessons to like get my head around it. I feel like it’s one of my best manoeuvres now, it’s a bit like maths… if you know how to do it, it’s enjoyable. If you don’t, it isn’t.

my best manoeuvre (and the one I got on my test) though would be reverse bay park. And quite surprisingly, I find forward parking hard as I always had to readjust my position..
Reply 7
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Overall the hardest part of driving for me was judgement. I feel like having judgement is something that comes with experience and If you don’t have enough then this could be very challenging for you. Other than that, I would say like right turns (as silly as it may sound). Turning right can be very challenging, either at traffic lights or mid road. I heard that it’s one of the most dangerous things you can do when driving, crossing the path of other drivers. It took me so many lessons to perfect it.

Me and reverse parallel had a love hate relationship. There were days where I absolutely could not do it and it took me weeks and so many lessons to like get my head around it. I feel like it’s one of my best manoeuvres now, it’s a bit like maths… if you know how to do it, it’s enjoyable. If you don’t, it isn’t.

my best manoeuvre (and the one I got on my test) though would be reverse bay park. And quite surprisingly, I find forward parking hard as I always had to readjust my position..

"Like maths" 😭😭😭 Now I understand why I find driving so therapeutic (was fav subject during good old days)

That is a bit surprising since one of the first parking lessons I learned was forward parking, and didn't think it was something tricky. But I guess your forward parking is like my parallel reverse. Although I've passed on my first try, and got my license like a year ago. Personally I think I still need to practice more of my parallel r.

Ngl, you kinda sound like my Dad when you put "readjustment=hard/weakness" as if you're supposed to always park great perfect first strike, (not for the exam, just in general) and taking time/readjusting your positions more than 2 times is a default; which isn't that far from the truth but sheesh cut some slack 🙄😝

However, I agree with your first statement about turns especially at intersections/crossing roads👍🏻 One of the most dangerous part about driving.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ab33r
"Like maths" 😭😭😭 Now I understand why I find driving so therapeutic (was fav subject during good old days)

That is a bit surprising since one of the first parking lessons I learned was forward parking, and didn't think it was something tricky. But I guess your forward parking is like my parallel reverse. Although I've passed on my first try, and got my license like a year ago. Personally I think I still need to practice more of my parallel r.

Ngl, you kinda sound like my Dad when you put "readjustment=hard/weakness" as if you're supposed to always park great+perfect first strike, (not for the exam, just in general) and taking time/readjusting your positions more than 2 times is a default; which isn't that far from the truth but sheesh cut some slack 🙄😝

Hahaha! I was speaking from test perspectives lol

Tbh it doesn’t matter once you’ve passed 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending