The Student Room Group

Placement issues/concerns

Hi,

I am a final year LD student and I am currently on my 2nd last placement. My placements have varied from adult/mental health. My current placement is a care home and I am on my final week. From week one I was told to work on the floor with the care staff which is absolutely fine, but going into week 2 I asked my supervisor to get involved with some of the nursing tasks going on too. Little improved going forward so I was asking daily can I help with the care planning, involvement in reviews and professional visits, medication rounds etc. To which the only change seen was an expectation to complete all relevant paperwork for the day and support the care team. On a day I was working with my Assessor I reiterated my interest in more learning opportunities, My assessor is also the unit manager and felt maybe they could better facilitate learning opportunities. Following this I was asked to a meeting by the clinical manager and my supervisor about why I had voiced these concerns to my assessor and why I didn't approach my supervisor, which I explained I did. I was asked did I want them to involve my university which I said no I just want to achieve learning outcomes. It was explained the busy environment etc etc can sometimes interrupt this, we all moved on. That day I had more responsibility in the unit. The following day I feel my supervisor was annoyed at me for discussing what I had with her initially and she was picking at everything I did or said, and at one point attempted to continue over something completely untrue (that I had left mess in a room, which I know I did not, I even checked, explained everything was ok in the room and she snapped yeah because I sorted it). At this point I tried to explain no, that's not what happened and she began speaking over me in a condescending tone, getting louder as I tried to speak until we were both raising our voices and I walked away. I spoke with the clinical manager who said its fine not everyone gets on don't worry, which I did not feel resolved the conflict which occurred. I went for a break, worked in another unit for a few hours and returned to my supervisor who was acting like nothing had occurred, stating I know you wanted to learn xyz would you like to come and try. So I'm feeling very confused as the environment within the home prior to this was toxic and I'm worried what issues will arise going forward considering as there had been none until the last week. I discussed this with my academic assessor to make them aware I was called in to a meeting and that further issues arose since. I guess my question is I have 1 shift left and I am finished, I have still to have my final review and grade and my supervisor will be completing this as it is now optional whether assessor or supervisor complete, can I be failed without being offered the option of a learning development plan or the involvement of the PEF/CHEF? And due to what has happened and not my professional practice, granted getting into a heated discussion with my supervisor was unprofessional? I am making myself ill with anxiety about returning tomorrow because of this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending