The Student Room Group

Should I take A level further maths privately in a gap year?

I was rejected from 4 of the universities I applied to for economics (Cambridge, KCL, UCL, Warwick) and received an offer from Manchester.
My predicted grades are A*A*A for Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I was wondering whether it was worth taking a gap year and reapplying next year whilst doing A level Further Maths privately in my gap year?

I was told that doing Further maths in a gap year might not be worth it as predicted grades from private tutors aren't weighted the same as predicted grades from school.

The main reason I want to take the gap year was because I want to apply to target universities for investment banks and know that Manchester alumni don't usually land Front office roles.
Wow - It has been super competitive this year for economics. I think if you are really targeting those universities and if you receive the predicted grades you should reapply and then further maths with a good predicted grade willl be a bonus. What is your Manchester grade offer? If lower than predicted maybe worth holding onto it as insurance.

Good luck

Original post by eesasheikh
I was rejected from 4 of the universities I applied to for economics (Cambridge, KCL, UCL, Warwick) and received an offer from Manchester.
My predicted grades are A*A*A for Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I was wondering whether it was worth taking a gap year and reapplying next year whilst doing A level Further Maths privately in my gap year?

I was told that doing Further maths in a gap year might not be worth it as predicted grades from private tutors aren't weighted the same as predicted grades from school.

The main reason I want to take the gap year was because I want to apply to target universities for investment banks and know that Manchester alumni don't usually land Front office roles.
Reply 2
My Manchester offer is AAA
Original post by Simba2012
Wow - It has been super competitive this year for economics. I think if you are really targeting those universities and if you receive the predicted grades you should reapply and then further maths with a good predicted grade willl be a bonus. What is your Manchester grade offer? If lower than predicted maybe worth holding onto it as insurance.

Good luck

Your last sentence is incorrect. If OP wants to reapply they would have to give up any offer they currently hold. The probem is that Economics is currently one of the hot subjects and universities in London are insanely competitive. There is no guarantee that OP will get an offer next year either so it is a risk.
Reply 4
Well, that’s the choice I have to make I guess
Well, that’s the choice I have to make I guess

Exactly but you need to do so being fully aware you could be rejected again next year
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Exactly but you need to do so being fully aware you could be rejected again next year

Yeah I know but like I guess I just need to make myself as competitive as possible and I’m wondering if it’s worth doing further maths privately in a gap year or to just go Manchester.
Yeah I know but like I guess I just need to make myself as competitive as possible and I’m wondering if it’s worth doing further maths privately in a gap year or to just go Manchester.

Contact Cambridge, KCL, UCL and Warwick and ask whether FM taken by itself would strengthen your application, or whether they only consider grades taken in one sitting. My concern is that if it's very competitive, they might not like students 'topping up' with an extra subject in a gap year.

You could always apply to Manc again in the next cycle. I suspect you'd get another offer, although obviously no guarantees.
Agree what I meant was keep the offer if less than predicted grades and the if they did not receive the grades but enough for Manchester then go there without gap year. If you get predicted and are doing further then there is still risk of not getting an offer but much less risk.
Original post by swanseajack1
Your last sentence is incorrect. If OP wants to reapply they would have to give up any offer they currently hold. The probem is that Economics is currently one of the hot subjects and universities in London are insanely competitive. There is no guarantee that OP will get an offer next year either so it is a risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending