The Student Room Group

The future scares me and I no longer know what to do

Hi,
I'm a UK law student wanting to becoming a corporate solicitor one day. I took a gap year during my a levels due to ill health. Then, I went off to university at 19. I was r*ped that year and became very depressed which led me to repeating the year. I am now realising that I hate my degree and I do not enjoy this university. It triggers me and I want a fresh start elsewhere. However, I am now 21. It scares me to that when all my friends are graduating and moving into work, l'll be restarting a whole new degree course at a whole new university.
I'm scared l'll be judged. I'll graduate at 24 and it normally takes another 2-3 years to qualify. So I will not be a qualified solicitor until 27. Is this bad? I'm just so confused and upset. I wish I had never stayed at this university and went elsewhere. I just have so many regrets. Any advice?
It's not at all surprising that you want a fresh start somewhere else given what has happened to you. The good news is that not being qualified until you are 27 isn't, in and of itself, bad at all. It's actually below the average qualification age, which has been hovering slightly higher than that for a little while now last I checked. Whilst I realise you don't want to be a barrister, the same is true of the Bar, where the average age for pupils has also been similar. So no, as a new trainee or newly qualified lawyer generally your age is and will be perfectly normal. You have nothing to worry about at all on that front, and there's no reason why your focus shouldn't be on having a fresh start elsewhere where you can develop and build on much more positive experiences.
Reply 2
Original post by Crazy Jamie
It's not at all surprising that you want a fresh start somewhere else given what has happened to you. The good news is that not being qualified until you are 27 isn't, in and of itself, bad at all. It's actually below the average qualification age, which has been hovering slightly higher than that for a little while now last I checked. Whilst I realise you don't want to be a barrister, the same is true of the Bar, where the average age for pupils has also been similar. So no, as a new trainee or newly qualified lawyer generally your age is and will be perfectly normal. You have nothing to worry about at all on that front, and there's no reason why your focus shouldn't be on having a fresh start elsewhere where you can develop and build on much more positive experiences.

This has been very kind and helpful, thank you so much :smile:
You might want to look at solicitor apprenticeships instead in that case. I think most people are 18 when they start but perhaps you don't have to be 18.
Reply 4
Original post by 17Student17
You might want to look at solicitor apprenticeships instead in that case. I think most people are 18 when they start but perhaps you don't have to be 18.

Oh really! I got really good grades at a level, so academics isn’t the struggle, do you think a Solicitor apprenticeship would be a better option at this point due to the working and studying option?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending