The Student Room Group

Used car recommendations?

Hi guys so I’m 21, looking to buy a car and UK based. I want to buy a used car to take with me to uni, my uni is 200 miles away so have to drive about 4 hours to get there. Anyone know how many miles o should look out for when buying a new car so I know it’s reliable enough to use on the motorway and drive for four hours and any good used cars for students. I’ve been driving for three years but never been on the motorway so a bit nervous so I’d be more reassured if I have a good car but remember I’m only gonna buy a used one cos I don’t have enough financially for a brand new car just yet. Any recommendations?
Don't worry about not buying brand new. Second hand cars can be just as reliable, and a hell of a lot cheaper!

I'm definitely no expert, but with over 10 years of driving, I've only had 3 cars. All second hand.

First car was a Nissan. Generally they have good reputation for being reliable (and Japanese cars in general). It was 16 years old, petrol, and had about 70k miles on the clock.

Second car was a 12 year old Peugeot, diesel, think it also had around 70k miles on the clock. I only got rid of the Nissan because family found this car and said it would be better for me as I was now at uni also driving up and down the motorway a lot! French cars tend to get a bad reputation but this car was fine! It was 20 when I sold it for scrap. It had done 110k+ miles. It was only because it failed an MOT and all the fixes weren't worth the cost over buying a new car.

Current car is a Ford, was 14 when I got it. Again diesel, but only 40k miles on the clock. This one should last me years! I think Fords/British cars generally have a good reputation too.

Mileage wise, diesel engines tend to have a longer life than petrol. If I were to buy another petrol I don't think I'd consider anything above 60/70k. I'd be thinking life span of 100k, but this is just a ball park figure, of course they can go for longer. Diesels apparently can go to 200k+ but I'd still be weary of purchasing one above 100k.

Every year with my MOTs I always get a service too.

How many miles you predict you'll do annually would be something to take into account too along with the average lifespans milage wise of petrol vs diesel when you're shopping.

Good luck!
When looking for a used car the first thing to consider is your budget, you need to account for the cost of the car itself and everything that comes with it - tax, insurance, MOTs, maintenance, fuel etc. Especially with used cars lower down the budget range you may be looking at cars that have either higher miles or require some work - you should account for all of these in your budget also.

If I were you, I'd start browsing Autotrader and Gumtree, they tend to have more reputable sellers there, or dealers, making the process of buying less complicated and less stressful. For the cars themselves, consider mileage within the context of good service history - a high mileage car with good service history is usually a safer bet than a low mileage car with a poor or non-existent service history. Japanese cars are typically good on reliability and running costs, but again, how the car has been treated always makes a difference.

If you're looking for something cheaper to run, more reliable and something that can cruise at motorway speeds comfortably, I would consider looking into slightly higher displacement cars (i.e. 1.6-2.0L engines), things like the Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta (higher-spec models such as the Zetec, Zetec S - I have a 2010 Zetec and have known it to do 4-6 hours on the motorway just fine) Honda Accord/Civic (I believe the 2.2L Diesels pull well and will happily sit at motorway speeds for extended periods), Mini Cooper (look for the 6spd manual with these but they are prone to oil leaks), Kia Ceed (my brother has one of these and has a 1.5hr commute to work everyday), Toyota Auris/Corolla/Avensis (Corolla depending on the trim could be somewhat underpowered so take a look at the specs but all of them will be reliable as anything), Renault Megane (You'll usually get more car for your money with these, but ensure they have a good service/MOT history), Mazda 3/6 (6 is a bigger saloon, 3 is the hatchback but with the right trims again they should be well suited).

These are only some ideas, I suggest ensuring you do your research as thoroughly as possible; mid-way through writing the previous paragraph I took a look on autotrader for those cars <90k miles, <£2k and most if not all were present and in good condition. When you've decided on a car (or cars), take a look on Facebook Marketplace, a lot of the time you'll find the same cars on there slightly cheaper, but I've always found shopping on there hit or miss (Got an amazing deal on a motorbike from FB, but then viewed a 'mint condition' diesel Golf which's engine mounts were about as effective as chopsticks).

As per, do the MOT checks, haggle with the sellers if you think it is overpriced, go on CarVertical and get a check on a car you are interested in (these do cost but are usually worth it in the end), take someone who knows about cars, if you know anyone as such, to look at the vehicle with you, and also look up common faults with the car you're interested in. Do your due diligence and you'll be fine!

If you have any other questions feel free to PM :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys so I’m 21, looking to buy a car and UK based. I want to buy a used car to take with me to uni, my uni is 200 miles away so have to drive about 4 hours to get there. Anyone know how many miles o should look out for when buying a new car so I know it’s reliable enough to use on the motorway and drive for four hours and any good used cars for students. I’ve been driving for three years but never been on the motorway so a bit nervous so I’d be more reassured if I have a good car but remember I’m only gonna buy a used one cos I don’t have enough financially for a brand new car just yet. Any recommendations?

Good cars that id recommend are- Hyundai i10, Hyundai i20, Kia Picanto, Nissan micra.
Original post by Versions
Don't worry about not buying brand new. Second hand cars can be just as reliable, and a hell of a lot cheaper!

I'm definitely no expert, but with over 10 years of driving, I've only had 3 cars. All second hand.

First car was a Nissan. Generally they have good reputation for being reliable (and Japanese cars in general). It was 16 years old, petrol, and had about 70k miles on the clock.

Second car was a 12 year old Peugeot, diesel, think it also had around 70k miles on the clock. I only got rid of the Nissan because family found this car and said it would be better for me as I was now at uni also driving up and down the motorway a lot! French cars tend to get a bad reputation but this car was fine! It was 20 when I sold it for scrap. It had done 110k+ miles. It was only because it failed an MOT and all the fixes weren't worth the cost over buying a new car.

Current car is a Ford, was 14 when I got it. Again diesel, but only 40k miles on the clock. This one should last me years! I think Fords/British cars generally have a good reputation too.

Mileage wise, diesel engines tend to have a longer life than petrol. If I were to buy another petrol I don't think I'd consider anything above 60/70k. I'd be thinking life span of 100k, but this is just a ball park figure, of course they can go for longer. Diesels apparently can go to 200k+ but I'd still be weary of purchasing one above 100k.

Every year with my MOTs I always get a service too.

How many miles you predict you'll do annually would be something to take into account too along with the average lifespans milage wise of petrol vs diesel when you're shopping.

Good luck!

Deffo.
I had a nissan years ago and it was dead reliable (a breath of fresh air after the fiat i had as my first car which was very unreliable).
I currently have another nissan which has also been very reliable.
Original post by Emma:-)
Deffo.
I had a nissan years ago and it was dead reliable (a breath of fresh air after the fiat i had as my first car which was very unreliable).
I currently have another nissan which has also been very reliable.

Which Nissan did u have?
Original post by medic0817
Which Nissan did u have?

Both my old nissan and my current nissan have both been micras

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending