The Student Room Group

What a-levels should I take if I want to study law at Cambridge?

I am currently in year 10 but I am looking ahead and I would like to be clearer as to what I want to study for a-levels. I am set to get sufficient GCSE grades to apply for Cambridge so this is not a problem. I feel very secure with my choice to study law at Cambridge, and I wanted some advice. At my school, you HAVE to study 4 a-levels, with the option of doing an EPQ on top of this.

My GCSES (12 of them):
. English Literature
. English Language
. Biology
. Chemistry
. Physics
. Maths
. Further Maths
. Computer Science
. Geography
. DT
. RS
. German

I have whittled the a-levels that my school offers down to 6 choices (based on subjects that I am good at or interested in):
. Economics
. English Literature (although I don't seem too keen on this)
. Philosophy
. Maths
. Politics
. Geography
. Possibly an EPQ? (would likely be law-based)

Out of those 6, what 4 would best set me up for a law degree? Would doing a science or any other a-levels be more helpful? Would doing an EPQ on top of this be worth it due to the additional workload?
Original post by test.,
I am currently in year 10 but I am looking ahead and I would like to be clearer as to what I want to study for a-levels. I am set to get sufficient GCSE grades to apply for Cambridge so this is not a problem. I feel very secure with my choice to study law at Cambridge, and I wanted some advice. At my school, you HAVE to study 4 a-levels, with the option of doing an EPQ on top of this.

My GCSES (12 of them):
. English Literature
. English Language
. Biology
. Chemistry
. Physics
. Maths
. Further Maths
. Computer Science
. Geography
. DT
. RS
. German

I have whittled the a-levels that my school offers down to 6 choices (based on subjects that I am good at or interested in):
. Economics
. English Literature (although I don't seem too keen on this)
. Philosophy
. Maths
. Politics
. Geography
. Possibly an EPQ? (would likely be law-based)

Out of those 6, what 4 would best set me up for a law degree? Would doing a science or any other a-levels be more helpful? Would doing an EPQ on top of this be worth it due to the additional workload?

Any combination of those would be fine. You only need 3 A levels for Cam, so either pick 4, or 3 plus an EPQ. What is most important in the grades, so minimum number and the subjects you think you can get the best grades in.
Of your list only three are traditional A level subjects ( supposedly the harder ones)
The three are
English Literature
Geography
Maths

If you add economics to that I think that makes a very good combination of four subjects as economics is a particularly well regarded newer A level.

However if you will get higher grades with say English lit (lawyers write a lot so English lit, history etc were regarded traditionally as worth doing for law), Geography, Philosophy and Politics you could do those but I don't think it is such a good combination.

I probably wouldn't bother with an EPQ.

Also do be aware half of lawyers do not do law for a first degree. I enjoyed my LLB and am glad I did it but just be aware you could do another subject first if you prefer.
Gender studies :smile:
Original post by threeportdrift
Any combination of those would be fine. You only need 3 A levels for Cam, so either pick 4, or 3 plus an EPQ. What is most important in the grades, so minimum number and the subjects you think you can get the best grades in.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending