The Student Room Group

Too anxious to do university work

I have an assignment soon and I am too worried to undertake the work because I am worrying about failing the assignment.

My mental health is not good. Please advise.
Original post by Anonymous
I have an assignment soon and I am too worried to undertake the work because I am worrying about failing the assignment.

Hello,

I hope you're well. Honestly, I understand, this happens to me all the time! The way I find helps is I relax A LOT, I wait until quite close until the deadline which is probably not good advice, but it forces you to do it. I do make sure that I know all of the learning outcomes, a brief overview of what I want to write and I really study the module guide.

I make a front sheet, so at least I feel that I have done something. Sometimes, as well just to convince myself I have "started", I write a small amount about the topic in my own pre-existing knowledge just so something is there and that usually encourages me to start. I tend to not look at how much I have to do, but rather set really small goals daily / weekly so that I am continuously doing something towards it. I find this makes me less anxious and honestly, once you have started you feel a weight lifted off your shoulders.

I would also say to utilise any tutorials or academic help you can get from any of your lecturers, because this may make you feel more at ease knowing your questions have been answered. I always convince myself I will never fail, and I am in my final year of university and never failed an assignment - it is all in your head sometimes. Have faith in yourself!

Best of luck :smile:
Jade
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi :h:

So sorry to hear that you're struggling. Please be reassured that you're not alone in feeling this way, I sadly know people that feel the same, myself being one of them at times. When you're not feeling confident about a piece of work it can be really tricky (and scary) to get started but there are things you can certainly do to get around this! First of all, try and identify what it is you are worried about. Is there something specfic about the course content or the assignment question that you don't understand? If you can find out some specific points that you're worrying about then I'd suggest dropping over an email to your lecturer/module convener and asking for some guidance! There is nothing wrong with doing this, they are there to help you and chances are if you're unsure about something then the other people in your class will be too.

Once you've done this, I'd then maybe break down the assignment into as many smaller points as you can. Small steps can get you a long way. You do not have to do everything at once. Create small goals for yourself and then when you can tick them off you'll be gaining momentum and confidence! You can only ever do your best, and regardless of any grade your best is good enough. Get down whatever you can, it doesn't need to be perfect, it doesn't need to even be good, but from there you can build something and edit it until it is no longer a draft but a piece of work you've fought to produce!

Reach out to your uni/GP about your mental health. There is help out there for you! Sometimes we can be way too critical of ourselves, you'll probably do better than you think, and hey, even if you did fail, I'm sure there'll be options you can take from there too. You got this!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Hi :h:

So sorry to hear that you're struggling. Please be reassured that you're not alone in feeling this way, I sadly know people that feel the same, myself being one of them at times. When you're not feeling confident about a piece of work it can be really tricky (and scary) to get started but there are things you can certainly do to get around this! First of all, try and identify what it is you are worried about. Is there something specfic about the course content or the assignment question that you don't understand? If you can find out some specific points that you're worrying about then I'd suggest dropping over an email to your lecturer/module convener and asking for some guidance! There is nothing wrong with doing this, they are there to help you and chances are if you're unsure about something then the other people in your class will be too.

Once you've done this, I'd then maybe break down the assignment into as many smaller points as you can. Small steps can get you a long way. You do not have to do everything at once. Create small goals for yourself and then when you can tick them off you'll be gaining momentum and confidence! You can only ever do your best, and regardless of any grade your best is good enough. Get down whatever you can, it doesn't need to be perfect, it doesn't need to even be good, but from there you can build something and edit it until it is no longer a draft but a piece of work you've fought to produce!

Reach out to your uni/GP about your mental health. There is help out there for you! Sometimes we can be way too critical of ourselves, you'll probably do better than you think, and hey, even if you did fail, I'm sure there'll be options you can take from there too. You got this!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

I went to study skills today and that helped a lot to break down my work. I hope I can get it all done.
I went to study skills today and that helped a lot to break down my work. I hope I can get it all done.

I'm so glad to hear that study skills helped you! I'm sure you can get it all done - believe in yourself!

Hi,
I see that you reached out to study skills and was able to get some advice and support. I really hope this does help to make the assessments more manageable and support you to do your best.
Dreading failure can be a real obstacle that is hard to overcome. Try not to beat yourself up and just work on it step by step. You can only do what you can do and have faith that you can.
Remember that the University is there to support you and your learning so do reach out to them. All the best for your assignments and health :-)
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending