The Student Room Group

Struggling

I’m in my first year, and everyone seems to be getting better assignment marks than me, I have genuinely put in a lot of effort, but my marks don’t seem to get any better, and I’m losing hope. I’ve never been a great academic, sort of middle-of-the-road student, but now it seems like I’m bottom of everything, and I just feel like giving up.
First and foremost, don’t give up; you can do this. You have the right spirit, which is trying to improve, just be patient, and it will come over time. A great first step is to baseline your assignment/essay writing skills, I’ve used this baseline quiz in the past: https://forms.office.com/e/1XRf6rLHfa

Once you have an idea of which areas you are strong in and which areas you could improve in, you can plan to improve in those areas over time. I finished uni with a 2:2, and worked on my assignment writing skills extensively in my master’s, and managed to get to the top of the class, scooping the academic excellence award at the end. If I can do it, there is no reason you can’t too.
Reply 2
Original post by tryingmybest2005
I’m in my first year, and everyone seems to be getting better assignment marks than me, I have genuinely put in a lot of effort, but my marks don’t seem to get any better, and I’m losing hope. I’ve never been a great academic, sort of middle-of-the-road student, but now it seems like I’m bottom of everything, and I just feel like giving up.

So sorry to hear you're going through such a challenging time. The transition to higher education can be very difficult, indeed. I would encourage you here to please advocate for yourself by taking advantage of campus resources available to you. Universities offer academic advising services such as tutoring and mental health counselling free of charge. Please don't feel isolated in your struggle. Investigate what student services are available and bok an appointment with the relevant professionals whose job it is to help you!
Original post by tryingmybest2005

Hello :smile:

I hope you are doing well. Firstly, thank you for being so honest and open about how you feel. Alot of people do not recognise that they feel they are struggling, so well done for having such great self awareness.

Secondly - do not compare yourself. I know this is hard to do. As a human, we all do it. it's part of our survival instinct and it is natural. However, we all have our own special life path and so comparing grades is neither here nor there. The grades you have currently are just reflections of the present day. It doesnt define you and wont define your entire future. Do not give up, have faith inyourself, remember that you are authentic and special. Everyone has things they are good at and things they are not so good at or feel average in. its normal.

In my masters degree i have 1 pass, mostly merits and 2 distinctions. This shows that depending on the subject will just depend not only on my grades but how much I enjoy the subject will influence it. My path will be different to everyone elses and so will my grades - just like you! :smile: So be proud of yourself!!

:smile: If you want to improve, make sure your doing it for YOU not to feel better or equal to anyone else.
If you really want to improve your grades you could always try to take extra classes, request feedback, book in meetings with your class tutors to see what you can improve on and do extra learning outside. Also, and this is a massive one that helped me - find out YOUR learning style. For instance, I am a very visual learner. So i do most of my learning via photos, proactive on the go jobs, hands on jobs, painting, designing, doing graphs and maps etc. However, other people may learn differently. So think about how you enjoy learning and learn the topics you want to develop on in the style that suits you best. :smile: For instance if you are also a visual learner, draw things you want to remember or create poems etc.

Also, Instead of compaing yourself to others, open yourself up to positive communication with them. if there are people in your class who you do admire or admire regarding their grades, tell them how impressed you are with them and say that you would be very appreciative if they would be willing to help you or guide you in a direction that could offer you some inspiration. I'm sure they would be flattered and would be more than happy to help you. :smile:

I hope this helps!
You are doing amazing!!! Keep going!
Everything happens for a reason - even grades. In years to come you will look back and realise why things had to happen the way they did :smile:
All the best
Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending