The Student Room Group

Psychology work experience

Hi,

I want to do some work experience that will be valuable for someone who wants to study psychology in the future. Since I’m 17, I was just wondering if anyone got any ideas on what I can do!!! I’m really stuck and I need to figure it out soon so any ideas will be really helpful, thanks
Original post by nia_jul
Hi,

I want to do some work experience that will be valuable for someone who wants to study psychology in the future. Since I’m 17, I was just wondering if anyone got any ideas on what I can do!!! I’m really stuck and I need to figure it out soon so any ideas will be really helpful, thanks

Hey there,

You might be limited in working directly in roles that are related to the field due to your age, but I think there is still the possibility to. I think your best bet is looking into volunteer roles that involve helping in the community (anything that involves working with and helping others). Weekend jobs that are customer facing roles e.g., working in a coffee shop where you will work with and speak to a plethora of people is good experience. If you can help out at any summer play schemes/camps with children would also be helpful (developmental psychology!!), or in schools even. If you can work in any care homes helping older people would be great experience too (not necessarily directly as a carer, even in a kitchen role you will most likely still interact with service users).

I hope these ideas are helpful and best of luck,

Lauren -Official Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey there,

You might be limited in working directly in roles that are related to the field due to your age, but I think there is still the possibility to. I think your best bet is looking into volunteer roles that involve helping in the community (anything that involves working with and helping others). Weekend jobs that are customer facing roles e.g., working in a coffee shop where you will work with and speak to a plethora of people is good experience. If you can help out at any summer play schemes/camps with children would also be helpful (developmental psychology!!), or in schools even. If you can work in any care homes helping older people would be great experience too (not necessarily directly as a carer, even in a kitchen role you will most likely still interact with service users).

I hope these ideas are helpful and best of luck,

Lauren -Official Student Rep

Thanks so much!! I’ve been volunteering at the BHF for the past few weeks, and I just started working at Explore learning, so I think I can tick a couple of those boxes. Thank you for the adivce

Quick Reply

Latest