The Student Room Group

Psychology Masters and experiences

I heard to get a masters in psychology you need experience but most work experiences that are psychology based tend to require a masters. So my question what work experiences can you get that doesn't require a master?
Reply 1
Original post by Nooppea
I heard to get a masters in psychology you need experience but most work experiences that are psychology based tend to require a masters. So my question what work experiences can you get that doesn't require a master?

I am not sure what roles you are looking at, but i have never needed a masters for any psychology role ive ever had, such as a PWP, assistant psychologist and not even to get on the clinical psych doctorate.

Most masters unless they are practitioner courses (i.e. therapeutic skills) only often require you to have the money to do them, and very little else.

Greg
Work experience, although not always an explicit requirement for masters courses, can give you a lot of skills and knowledge which will both bolster your application and give you insight which you often don't obtain from the qualification itself. I'd recommend looking at HCA/support worker roles, particularly if you're interested in going down the clinical/forensic route. They don't require prior experience or a masters.
Original post by Nooppea

Hi @Nooppea ,

There are some work experience roles such as a crisis line volunteer. It depends what kind of experience you are looking to get. Universities sometimes advertise research assistant roles (sometimes paid) which you could apply for or you can get in touch with staff at a university to see if they are conducting research you could get involved in.

I would say it is worth letting people know who work in healthcare that you are interested in gaining work experience as they may know of some opportunities.

Experience can be very tricky to find especially within Psychology. What kind of experience are you hoping to find?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest