The Student Room Group

Coming out to parents

I’m genderqueer non-binary and use they/them pronouns. I’m out to pretty much everyone in my life except my family, although I am out to my sister and she is supportive. I really want to come out to my parents but I don’t know how to. Plus I am scared they won’t be fully accepting or will see me differently.

Sometimes my parents seem like they could be okay with it and other times they say things that sound low-key homo/transphobic so this is what’s stopping me from telling them. However, I feel guilty because my boyfriend’s family found out so they know before my own family (but they’re all supportive).

Does anyone have any advice on how to come out to my parents?
Might not be the answer you’re looking for, but remember that you don’t have to come out. If you’re scared that they will see you differently, don’t come out. At the end of the day, your you and your identity will only be most important to you. It may seem like a big deal, but to most others it isn’t. It shouldn’t affect how you act or behave. In most situations it will be completely irrelevant information.
Don’t feel guilty about not coming out. That information is for you, and you choose who to share it with. Also, don’t rush it. Media puts a lot of pressure around the coming out moment, and makes it seem like you have to tell literally everyone, and they miss out the fact that you can just live with your identity and be happy and not have to share it instantly. I’m bi, I’ve known for the past eight years and I’ve never officially told anyone I’m bi. I’m not hiding it either. Those who I care about just know from the fact that I’ve just talked about liking both guys and girls.
If you have hesitation about coming out to your parents because you suspect they may be homo/transphobic, don’t come out. Especially if you’re young/still at school/living with them. It’s better to keep that info to yourself, and have their support in other things (like finances), and have a calm home environment.
Your identity if for you, not others.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Might not be the answer you’re looking for, but remember that you don’t have to come out. If you’re scared that they will see you differently, don’t come out. At the end of the day, your you and your identity will only be most important to you. It may seem like a big deal, but to most others it isn’t. It shouldn’t affect how you act or behave. In most situations it will be completely irrelevant information.
Don’t feel guilty about not coming out. That information is for you, and you choose who to share it with. Also, don’t rush it. Media puts a lot of pressure around the coming out moment, and makes it seem like you have to tell literally everyone, and they miss out the fact that you can just live with your identity and be happy and not have to share it instantly. I’m bi, I’ve known for the past eight years and I’ve never officially told anyone I’m bi. I’m not hiding it either. Those who I care about just know from the fact that I’ve just talked about liking both guys and girls.
If you have hesitation about coming out to your parents because you suspect they may be homo/transphobic, don’t come out. Especially if you’re young/still at school/living with them. It’s better to keep that info to yourself, and have their support in other things (like finances), and have a calm home environment.
Your identity if for you, not others.

Thanks for your insight :smile: I’ve been putting it off for a while but I think that means that I don’t really feel comfortable enough to come out atm, you’re right. I would like to in the future if nothing has changed (which I doubt it will). I have 2 years left of uni away from home and who knows what will happen after that, but atm I am still mostly under their care lol so yeah probably better not to get on their bad side. It’s just a pain for me and for my sister to have to hide it lol, but there are signs my parents just haven’t picked up on ie I have a pronoun badge and have changed my name on everything (although my chosen name could just be a nickname so it’s not an obvious change). Anyway thanks so much again, I’ll put it aside for now probably

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending