The Student Room Group

help please, wrong maintenance loan calculation

hi so i’m just wondering what to do in my situation.

every year, i always get the same maintenance loan due to my parents being on benefits etc. this year, i get contact from SFE that my payment has been reduced by 6k yearly. they believe this is because they overpaid me maintenance from 2022-2023. i asked why and they said my university told them i left for a LOA in october 2022 and i continued to get maintenance. this isn’t true. i left for a LOA in june 2023 and there is records of me still doing assignments and work after october. i contacted my university to help me 3 weeks ago and no one has remotely gotten back to me to solve them by correcting the LOA form and sending it to SFE. my university has also failed to get back to me over the online registration website that gives me an error code, so i am not registered yet and i was due to have my loan and start my course tomorrow. i’m just so stressed, i literally do not know what to do or how to get everything sorted. i have no clarity. i don’t know whether to complain to a ombudsman over the quality of professionalism my university has given me. If everything gets rectified, do i recieve my correct maintenance loan straight away? or do i have to wait until january? i can’t afford to pay my bills or eat at the moment and i’m just feeling so lost on what to do.

i hope this made sense to someone and if anyone could tell me what they’d do in this situation, i’d be so grateful. :’)
Original post by anyajenn
hi so i’m just wondering what to do in my situation.

every year, i always get the same maintenance loan due to my parents being on benefits etc. this year, i get contact from SFE that my payment has been reduced by 6k yearly. they believe this is because they overpaid me maintenance from 2022-2023. i asked why and they said my university told them i left for a LOA in october 2022 and i continued to get maintenance. this isn’t true. i left for a LOA in june 2023 and there is records of me still doing assignments and work after october. i contacted my university to help me 3 weeks ago and no one has remotely gotten back to me to solve them by correcting the LOA form and sending it to SFE. my university has also failed to get back to me over the online registration website that gives me an error code, so i am not registered yet and i was due to have my loan and start my course tomorrow. i’m just so stressed, i literally do not know what to do or how to get everything sorted. i have no clarity. i don’t know whether to complain to a ombudsman over the quality of professionalism my university has given me. If everything gets rectified, do i recieve my correct maintenance loan straight away? or do i have to wait until january? i can’t afford to pay my bills or eat at the moment and i’m just feeling so lost on what to do.

i hope this made sense to someone and if anyone could tell me what they’d do in this situation, i’d be so grateful. :’)

Hi there,

If the university notifies us then once it's processed any monies owed would be backdated 3-5 working days after it's processed (which can take 16 working days at the moment). Please note our timescales are estimates and always subject to change. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending