The Student Room Group

Worried of not passing probabtion

I was told my probation was being extended as senior management wanted to see more improvement in my performance.

So far they are really happy with my attitude and my work ethic, I guess they just want to push me further in my abilities.

I have really listened to them, and I strive to do my best. I love my job and the company.

I struggle to contribute to the team because my self-esteem is really low and also can be a bit shy...I think that's why they extended my probation.

I am trying to be more aware in the work and trying to contribute anyway I can.

I noticed an event was missing in my work calendar, now it's making me believe that I didn't pass probation. All my colleagues have it apart from me.

I've worked really hard in the company and I always want to learn from my mistakes and grow.

No matter how hard I try, it will never be enough to "impress" them.

I don't want to let my family down :frown:

What else can I do?
Original post by R02022
I was told my probation was being extended as senior management wanted to see more improvement in my performance.

So far they are really happy with my attitude and my work ethic, I guess they just want to push me further in my abilities.

I have really listened to them, and I strive to do my best. I love my job and the company.

I struggle to contribute to the team because my self-esteem is really low and also can be a bit shy...I think that's why they extended my probation.

I am trying to be more aware in the work and trying to contribute anyway I can.

I noticed an event was missing in my work calendar, now it's making me believe that I didn't pass probation. All my colleagues have it apart from me.

I've worked really hard in the company and I always want to learn from my mistakes and grow.

No matter how hard I try, it will never be enough to "impress" them.

I don't want to let my family down :frown:

What else can I do?

Hello!

My advice is to make sure everything is written down. Make sure you have all documents, minutes and notes of any probation meetings you've had with them and any positive comments they've made about your performance logged.

Also make sure you ask for them to put in writing the reasons for extending your probation, if you check your company hand book, there should be a clause about clear reasons for your probation being extended.

If they say they're happy with your performance, there shouldn't be a reason to extend it, so make sure you have all the evidence gathered.

If necessary, you can pursue them for unfair dismissal if that is what is happening.

However, I hope that it's just an admin error and everything is fine. Try not to overthink it too much, but also make sure your back is covered just incase.

In Plymouth, where we are, there is a local free legal clinic that gives employment advice for free. It may be worth Googling if there's somewhere near you that offers similar if things start to go south.

Wishing you lots of luck and I hope things get easier!

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.
Hi there,

Echoing what's already been said. I think if you're concerned it might be worth arranging a conversation with your line manager.

The fact that you have not been invited to a meeting could be due to a whole host of reasons. I wouldn't worry about this.

Your work ethic and attitude has been noticed, which is clearly a good thing. However management will need to have clear grounds for extending your probation depending on company policy and procedures depending on the size of company.

If you have not already, I would arrange a meeting with your manager to fully discuss, understand and document what you need to improve. Keep the conversation positive and see if you can get your manager to clearly articulate what actions you'd need to take to pass your probation. Further details will be useful either way.

If there's still time left on your extended probation, you may want to arrange for time in your 1-1 discussions with your manager to go through the points raised that meant your probation was extended, and proactively discuss how you've developed against them and how you're developing generally. A good manager should recognise this; meaning you don't have to completely figure things out on your own.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
If necessary, you can pursue them for unfair dismissal if that is what is happening.

You need to have worked somewhere for two years before you can claim unfair dismissal -- unless the reason is discrimination on the basis of a protected characteristic.
Original post by martin7
You need to have worked somewhere for two years before you can claim unfair dismissal -- unless the reason is discrimination on the basis of a protected characteristic.

That is true, but there an employment lawyer would be able to further advise if everything is documented and the commenters circumstances are fully explored.
I still think it's really important for everything to be written down!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending