The Student Room Group

Failed first year

I am in University of Bath studying robotics engineering. I failed first year because I was burnt out and as a result was slacking during my time at University. I came and realised that even though I had access to all their resources that my learning method was flawed and I did terribly. My time management sucked and amongst other things. I tried going to their therapy sessions to discuss my difficulties but I refuted because I had to wait a few weeks just to book one. I always wanted to study robotics Engineering, and no matter what. I want to continue. However, I'm scared that they'll kick me out if something happens with my re-sits. I failed 2 modules only whilst still having an average of 53% in second semester. It's a shame and I'm disappointed in my self. I am a hardworking individual but I just lost my way and want to be better. I wanted to suspend my course numerous times because I believed I needed time. However, I didn't want to and still moved forward and never gave up. I'm scared I will be kicked out from my dream course because of my lack of commitment that I know I will be fully engaged if I have the opportunity to repeat or progress to second year. Or at-least still be able to apply to other universities but anxious since UCAS wants a reference and the reputation I built is terrible. I feel like I ruined my life and there's nothing I can do. I achieved a B in A-level maths and a D*D*D* in L3 BTEC Extended engineering diploma. I got a contextual offer but if I was being honest. I wanted to go to University of Manchester. But to make my father happy, I went to Bath and I regret it because I don't feel like I belong. I want help, I want a second chance. I want to be robotics engineer as I always worked hard to study it and become it. I want to graduate to make my mother proud. But I ruined it, and I'm disappointed in myself. I feel like I'm just making excuses as I have around 22 days to pass the re-sits. I will do my best, but I need help. Sorry about this , I never wanted to cause distress about my situation. Have a great day , anyway :smile:
Reply 1
Just focus on your resits and try to get the other stuff out of your mind for now.

It sounds like you know what changes you need to make. You also dropped the ball by not fully engaging with wellbeing - there is always a wait, it's not ideal but it's where we are in universities at the moment. there's a lot of student anxiety (way more than pre covid) and not enough staff or money to deal with in a timely manner. Engage with them, even with the wait.

If there's an anxiety and burnout thing going on you might also think about speaking to a GP as well as you academic advisor and the mitccics people. There are mechanisms in place to help you succeed but you have to ask for them. Like I say to my students: 'if you don't tell us we don't know'.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
You sound like you've figured out all that went wrong in your first year and that's actually the first step to turning things around for the better. All you need to do now is work on the things that went wrong and I'm 100% sure you'll be alright.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I am in University of Bath studying robotics engineering. I failed first year because I was burnt out and as a result was slacking during my time at University. I came and realised that even though I had access to all their resources that my learning method was flawed and I did terribly. My time management sucked and amongst other things. I tried going to their therapy sessions to discuss my difficulties but I refuted because I had to wait a few weeks just to book one. I always wanted to study robotics Engineering, and no matter what. I want to continue. However, I'm scared that they'll kick me out if something happens with my re-sits. I failed 2 modules only whilst still having an average of 53% in second semester. It's a shame and I'm disappointed in my self. I am a hardworking individual but I just lost my way and want to be better. I wanted to suspend my course numerous times because I believed I needed time. However, I didn't want to and still moved forward and never gave up. I'm scared I will be kicked out from my dream course because of my lack of commitment that I know I will be fully engaged if I have the opportunity to repeat or progress to second year. Or at-least still be able to apply to other universities but anxious since UCAS wants a reference and the reputation I built is terrible. I feel like I ruined my life and there's nothing I can do. I achieved a B in A-level maths and a D*D*D* in L3 BTEC Extended engineering diploma. I got a contextual offer but if I was being honest. I wanted to go to University of Manchester. But to make my father happy, I went to Bath and I regret it because I don't feel like I belong. I want help, I want a second chance. I want to be robotics engineer as I always worked hard to study it and become it. I want to graduate to make my mother proud. But I ruined it, and I'm disappointed in myself. I feel like I'm just making excuses as I have around 22 days to pass the re-sits. I will do my best, but I need help. Sorry about this , I never wanted to cause distress about my situation. Have a great day , anyway :smile:

Hey there
Sorry you have had a tough time. You have a chance to improve and I truly believe you when got this !

Best wishes
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending