The Student Room Group

Can't get over break up

I feel like such a pathetic loser for not being able to get over my ex yet when they as far as I know have moved on and don't even care about me anymore. I'm normally a pretty strong person but I just can't get over this and I'm really frustrated at myself for it. I don't even think I love them anymore and I don't really want them back but it's the past good memories but also the hurt and betrayal they made me feel after ending things unexpectedly that I just can't get over. I feel like I can't even keep talking to my friends about it anymore cos I don't wanna annoy them by going on about it too much. Am I really just not gonna get over this till I find someone else? But being dumped has also made me absolutely terrified to love someone else again cos I'm just gonna be scared the whole time that one day they could also just say goodbye for no other reason than they just lost feelings.
Reply 1
Hey 🙂
Been there, it’s hard and very difficult but it’s a one day at a time sort of situation. Take your time and relax, you will definitely get over this. People come and go and that’s alright, it does not mean you won’t find someone else. This will make you cautious for future relationships but you shouldn’t rush into a new one just to get over them. Treat yourself with respect and find good ways to cope by doing things for yourself and removing that person entirely from your life one step at a time. There’s always gonna be the question “Was it something I did?” “What the **** did I do to be treated like this?”, do not blame yourself for something you didn’t see coming. And please do not be afraid to love another person, everyone is different. Do not let that person get the satisfaction of messing with your mind, your stronger for feeling emotions, it is completely normal. I remember being so angry with myself for not doing better but realised that a relationship takes two to makes things work and if I was carrying the relationship, then it wasn’t one to begin with. Your gonna feel down for a few weeks, maybe months but be kind to yourself and don’t punish yourself by feeling frustrated. Friends are there to be with you through everything, I’m sure if your friends are your friends then they will help you out and make you feel like you again. Hope this helped and I’m sorry your feeling this way. 💌
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like such a pathetic loser for not being able to get over my ex yet when they as far as I know have moved on and don't even care about me anymore. I'm normally a pretty strong person but I just can't get over this and I'm really frustrated at myself for it. I don't even think I love them anymore and I don't really want them back but it's the past good memories but also the hurt and betrayal they made me feel after ending things unexpectedly that I just can't get over. I feel like I can't even keep talking to my friends about it anymore cos I don't wanna annoy them by going on about it too much. Am I really just not gonna get over this till I find someone else? But being dumped has also made me absolutely terrified to love someone else again cos I'm just gonna be scared the whole time that one day they could also just say goodbye for no other reason than they just lost feelings.

I'm going through the exact same thing currently. 3 months post break up and if anything I'm feeling worse than at the start. At first I thought that we might get back together but that's evidently not going to happen now, so just feeling worse. My break up was so unexpected also and I can't see myself getting over this anytime soon.
Reply 3
go swimming. that helps with breakups
Reply 4
Original post by derin005
Hey 🙂
Been there, it’s hard and very difficult but it’s a one day at a time sort of situation. Take your time and relax, you will definitely get over this. People come and go and that’s alright, it does not mean you won’t find someone else. This will make you cautious for future relationships but you shouldn’t rush into a new one just to get over them. Treat yourself with respect and find good ways to cope by doing things for yourself and removing that person entirely from your life one step at a time. There’s always gonna be the question “Was it something I did?” “What the **** did I do to be treated like this?”, do not blame yourself for something you didn’t see coming. And please do not be afraid to love another person, everyone is different. Do not let that person get the satisfaction of messing with your mind, your stronger for feeling emotions, it is completely normal. I remember being so angry with myself for not doing better but realised that a relationship takes two to makes things work and if I was carrying the relationship, then it wasn’t one to begin with. Your gonna feel down for a few weeks, maybe months but be kind to yourself and don’t punish yourself by feeling frustrated. Friends are there to be with you through everything, I’m sure if your friends are your friends then they will help you out and make you feel like you again. Hope this helped and I’m sorry your feeling this way. 💌

Thank you so much for your advice, it did really help 💕

I have been doing lots of things to distract myself and it has been kinda working cos I think about them a lot less than before but I'm just frustrated that I still have these emotions after a few months when I don't think they do. But thanks for your kind words xx
Reply 5
I'm going through the exact same thing currently. 3 months post break up and if anything I'm feeling worse than at the start. At first I thought that we might get back together but that's evidently not going to happen now, so just feeling worse. My break up was so unexpected also and I can't see myself getting over this anytime soon.

Honestly you have also literally just described me, it's also been about 3 months for me, I could've written what you just wrote lol. I think I'm better than I was in the start in the sense that I don't want them back now and I'm not crying about it all the time (I hardly ever cry about it now). But I'm worse in the sense that now the initial crazy emotions of shock have gone, all the other things keep playing in my mind. I think we just need to hang in there and eventually these feelings will go away themselves and we'll wake up one day and have an entire day where we never even think about them once and then more and more!
Honestly you have also literally just described me, it's also been about 3 months for me, I could've written what you just wrote lol. I think I'm better than I was in the start in the sense that I don't want them back now and I'm not crying about it all the time (I hardly ever cry about it now). But I'm worse in the sense that now the initial crazy emotions of shock have gone, all the other things keep playing in my mind. I think we just need to hang in there and eventually these feelings will go away themselves and we'll wake up one day and have an entire day where we never even think about them once and then more and more!

I really hope that day will come soon, so fed up of feeling this way. Unfortunately I still want him back. There was literally nothing wrong with our relationship which makes it worse, I can't be angry at him because he was genuinely nice about the whole thing. Just still heartbroken and confused.
Reply 7
I really hope that day will come soon, so fed up of feeling this way. Unfortunately I still want him back. There was literally nothing wrong with our relationship which makes it worse, I can't be angry at him because he was genuinely nice about the whole thing. Just still heartbroken and confused.

I'm really really sorry you feel like that cos I totally understand you. Tbh I'm lying to myself saying I completely don't want him back- in some very low moments, I do. But then I think in reality it would never work because we could never go back to how we were after what happened. I could forgive his actions but not how he made me feel. And as for you, I think you do still have a right to be angry even if he was nice to you about it, cos he still broke your heart and you have every right to be angry and hurt by that. Your feelings are valid.
Reply 8

Honestly diverting your attention is the best way. These are some things that I found insightful when my pet lobster died in a forest fire (not the same but still a form of loss i guess). Trading stocks upon waking up already starts the day off right, particularly Hermes and Royal Mail. Aside from that learning a language such as ancient sanskrit is beneficial to ones spirituality. Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending