The Student Room Group

Student finance rejected

Hi,
Previously I did psychology undergraduate degree from 2021-2022 and had to repeat first year 2022-23. I decided psychology wasn’t for me and I wanted to pursue a different degree so I’ve applied for Computer Networks and Security at Birmingham City University for 2023-2024. But my student finance tuition fee loan for the Computer degree 2023-2024 has been rejected as I’ve studied before, and you usually only get
funding for your first degree course. I can still get funding for 2nd and 3rd year but not first year. What can I do?
Original post by Student_Zak1
Hi,
Previously I did psychology undergraduate degree from 2021-2022 and had to repeat first year 2022-23. I decided psychology wasn’t for me and I wanted to pursue a different degree so I’ve applied for Computer Networks and Security at Birmingham City University for 2023-2024. But my student finance tuition fee loan for the Computer degree 2023-2024 has been rejected as I’ve studied before, and you usually only get
funding for your first degree course. I can still get funding for 2nd and 3rd year but not first year. What can I do?

Hi Student_Zak1,

Do you have any Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) why you didn't complete the previous course?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Hi,

My mental health and anxiety did have an impact on my attendance and studies so I dropped out and I decided to pursue a different course afterwards. I don’t really have much evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons apart from discussing about my anxiety with my personal tutor throughout the first year.

Kind regards,
Zakariah Samir

Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Student_Zak1,

Do you have any Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) why you didn't complete the previous course?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Student_Zak1
Hi,

My mental health and anxiety did have an impact on my attendance and studies so I dropped out and I decided to pursue a different course afterwards. I don’t really have much evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons apart from discussing about my anxiety with my personal tutor throughout the first year.

Kind regards,
Zakariah Samir

Hi Zakariah, Would your personal tutor provide you with evidence of this? The evidence would need to include where applicable, we recommend the evidence is:

- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from HEP on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate
- A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply