The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by danny_me
Hi guys, anyone know how long it takes UAL and UCL to get back for an interview invite after the portfolio has been submitted? I submitted both around 3 weeks ago

I submitted my UCL portfolio on 28. Oct and haven't heard anything back
Reply 81
Original post by kjhgbhn
Same feeling here, I thought they could have been a bit more challenging

What college did you apply to? How was the experience overall despite it being open-ended and not as challenging as you thought beforehand
Original post by weewoo.
Hey guys, hope you’re all well. I recently had Cambridge interviews for architecture and was shocked by how open-ended all the questions were. I came out of the interview confused and disappointed that I couldn’t really be challenged on my answers as far as i would’ve hoped/expected to show my thinking abilities. Is this a natural experience?

Was your interview face to face ?
Interview was definitely more conversational than a grilling.
Hi guys, anyone know how long it takes UAL and UCL to get back for an interview invite after the portfolio has been submitted? I submitted both around 3 weeks ago

Rejected from UAL two days ago, portfolio submitted on 5th November. Feedback from UAL was to consider doing an art and design foundation diploma first and then reapply 😳
Reply 84
Original post by Shahirenayet
Rejected from UAL two days ago, portfolio submitted on 5th November. Feedback from UAL was to consider doing an art and design foundation diploma first and then reapply 😳

I’m really sorry about that, was UALyour main choice? Also do you mind telling me a brief of what you included? I’m getting paranoid at this point because I take IB visual arts HL but for all my portfolios I included majority of my works that I have done outside of school, and specifically a lot of my UAL portfolio was simply focused on processes and development for literally every variety of media that I have used for some pieces.
Original post by Shahirenayet

sorry to hear that.. recently found out UAL get about 60,000 applications for architecture... I think the competition is just too intense now
I’m really sorry about that, was UALyour main choice? Also do you mind telling me a brief of what you included? I’m getting paranoid at this point because I take IB visual arts HL but for all my portfolios I included majority of my works that I have done outside of school, and specifically a lot of my UAL portfolio was simply focused on processes and development for literally every variety of media that I have used for some pieces.

UAL was meant to be insurance as had the lowest grade requirement of unis chosen. First choice is Cambridge.

Portfolio had some photography, some digital art, a couple of drawings and then rest consisted of several product design projects done so far for a levels showing the process to final design. Wasn’t very Art/drawing or painting based
Original post by beomgyuswolfcut
sorry to hear that.. recently found out UAL get about 60,000 applications for architecture... I think the competition is just too intense now

Damn. That’s huge but doesn’t surprise me considering what the grade requirements are compared to some of the better unis

How did you find out about this? I am in disbelief...
Original post by unknownarchitect
How did you find out about this? I am in disbelief...

I was told by a UAL representative. she said either 60 000 or 70,000 I think. your portfolio would basically have to fit the requirements perfectly to even stand a chance :/

That figure is not correct. Around 750,000 applicants applied through UCAS for all undergraduate courses in the 2023 cycle. In 2022, less than 55,000 applied for architecture in the UK in total. The figure you have been given would mean that all architecture applicants apply to UAL as one of their choices - I can assure you that this is not the case. :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by normaw
If you're applying to uni for Architecture for autumn 2024 entry, introduce yourself to fellow applicants, ask questions and share your experience of applying so far:

What universities are you thinking of?
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades
Extra curriculars

Still thinking about where to apply? Have a look at the following thread regarding A level entry requirements for architecture:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

@CamembertPaws FYI

Unis: Sheffield, UCL, UAL, Kent, Westminster
A levels: Art, product design, ICT (AAA)
Extra curriculum: virtual work experience in architecture and landscape architecture MOOCS: sustainability, architecture drawing class, graphic design, game development, game design.
Reply 92
Does anyone know how many weeks Sheffield gives you to submit your portfolio?
Original post by Tud0u_
Does anyone know how many weeks Sheffield gives you to submit your portfolio?

I got about 4 weeks
Reply 94
Anyone heard back from manchester yet?
Original post by kjhgbhn
Anyone heard back from manchester yet?

Yeah - I got an offer on Wed 20th Dec (AAA or AAB with an A in EPQ)
Original post by Pterrr
What colleges have people applied for in Cambridge? I applied for Pembroke

Same! I had a face to face interview on Wednesday 13th December - I have no idea if it went well or not, because I answered everything but not sure if I was academic enough 😭 But cannot stop thinking about 24th Jan .......
Original post by kjhgbhn
Same feeling here, I thought they could have been a bit more challenging

Same - had my interview at Pembroke college on Wednesday 13th Dec
Original post by Kevinpan
Edinburgh did not require me to submit a portfolio.

I applied to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Manchester, UCL

Cambridge - interview on 13th Dec (A*AA needed)
Nottingham - offer (AAA or A*AB or AAB with A in EPQ)
Manchester - offer (AAA or AAB with A in EPQ)
UCL - rejected (based on portfolio)
Edinburgh - not heard back (A*AA needed)

My top choice after Cambridge would be Edinburgh, congrats on getting an offer! I am just surprised they are already giving out offers as it says online that they would respond after Jan 31st deadline, and that most applicants hear back by 30th April - when did you hear and what was your offer?
anyone got an offer or interview from UCL? how did the interview go? thx
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending