The Student Room Group

worried about job + disciplinary.

I feel like this is mostly my fault, But I work at McDonalds, and have been since last August. It’s not good work, but since I’m a student, it just suffices.

Recently I’ve been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety, and put on medication that has thrown me through a loop. I usually struggle to get out of bed due to my poor mental health. I haven’t informed my managers yet.

But recently, I missed a shift and no-showed. Now I’m being called in for an investigation meeting.

Am I going to lose my job? Is my declining mental health a good enough reason for my managers? What happens if I get a disciplinary?

As a side note, I’m currently looking at other places to work because my mental health has never been so bad, especially when working in McDonalds. 😕
Reply 1
Original post by idolatrine
I feel like this is mostly my fault, But I work at McDonalds, and have been since last August. It’s not good work, but since I’m a student, it just suffices.

Recently I’ve been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety, and put on medication that has thrown me through a loop. I usually struggle to get out of bed due to my poor mental health. I haven’t informed my managers yet.

But recently, I missed a shift and no-showed. Now I’m being called in for an investigation meeting.

Am I going to lose my job? Is my declining mental health a good enough reason for my managers? What happens if I get a disciplinary?

As a side note, I’m currently looking at other places to work because my mental health has never been so bad, especially when working in McDonalds. 😕

You have been diagnosed, so they are not going to sack you for having mental health issues. They will likely give you a warning if you no showed and not bothered ringing them up to tell them though. But I would approach this with the managers. They are not all that bad, but not giving them a valid reason why you no showed and also the medication has thrown you out of sync at the moment. Definitely start looking for another job as well. If you are not happy at a place, try elsewhere. You also been working there since August, so this will look good on your CV.
And please keep reaching out. whether its on a forum, with a friend, family or doctor. The more you talk about things it really does help. Little baby steps x
I agree with the reply above, you're seeking help and have started the process of getting better. Just be honest with them, we are all human and whilst you may well get a warning for not informing them of your absence. They will now know what you've been going through and can make sure you are supported at work
Original post by idolatrine

When i worked there- they did not sack people for no showing one just the one occasion.
If it was on several occasions, they may do (if there was no good reason why).
But on the one occasion, you are likely to just get a warning/verbal warning/whatever.
Let them know whats going on with your health in the meeting. If they dont know they cant help you. At least if they know they can help/support you and make allowances if need be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending