The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

accommodation near sheffield university

I will be coming to Sheffield University with my husband in october. I am looking for a student dormitory where I can stay with my husband. It is important for us that the price is cheap, it is safe and it is close to the school. Can you help me?
Have the Uni accom team been able to offer anything?

Most of the west side of Sheffield around the Uni is "safe", its a very different city to Birmingham, Manchester etc - they used to call Sheffield the biggest village in England, it still feels like that sometimes :smile:

Another option might be asking on the online Sheffield Forum, its a very active community
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
You are extremely unlikely to get university-owned accommodation as a couple (it exists at some universities even though there's never much of it, so certainly worth trying... but it is likely to be too late at this point and people starting Masters will already be moving in. The university should have information for you about other options).

So you are almost certainly looking at privately owned places and you'll need to be alert to whether places are unfurnished, furnished or part furnished.

Worth checking out the different language used here - even though universities have 'schools' of particular subjects, people are going to think something different to 'university' or 'department' if you say 'school' (they'll be assuming you are bringing children) and a 'dormitory' is something like a hospital ward rather than the 'student halls' which I reckon you are thinking of. Another thing to bear in mind is that as a student you are not liable to pay council tax but if your husband is not a student he will be.

Chief Brody's right about the west side... however, whilst there are loads of student shared houses there, it may not be what you are looking for. Check out where the Sheffield Supertram goes as that widens your options into places which may suit a couple better. Which university and university campus are we talking about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending