The Student Room Group

Does attendance matter?

I am from Scotland and my attendance is in the 70-80% due to bugs/colds going around, appointments and mental health and my parents always contact the school and let them know why I’m absent. I’m still doing well in my subjects but will universities not accept me due to my poor attendance?
Original post by Anonymous
I am from Scotland and my attendance is in the 70-80% due to bugs/colds going around, appointments and mental health and my parents always contact the school and let them know why I’m absent. I’m still doing well in my subjects but will universities not accept me due to my poor attendance?

The only way universities might become aware of your attendance is if your school decide to mention this in the reference they supply to UCAS. They're very unlikely to do so, as they want you to have the best chance of gaining a place at uni - simply because it reflects well on them.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The only way universities might become aware of your attendance is if your school decide to mention this in the reference they supply to UCAS. They're very unlikely to do so, as they want you to have the best chance of gaining a place at uni - simply because it reflects well on them.

Ok thank you! Also do you think it’ll be fine since I have no truancies and actual reasons for being off?
Original post by Anonymous
Ok thank you! Also do you think it’ll be fine since I have no truancies and actual reasons for being off?

Yes.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hello, sorry to hear you've not been well. Here at York we'd always ask you tell us if you're unwell, that way we can support you to keep achieving. If you're worried about your attendance when you apply, talk to us. The admissions team and department staff are all really friendly and supportive so you can ask them about what ever is worrying you.

should be fine as long as you catch up on lost classes etc
Reply 6

Generally, not really. They care more about your subject interests, knowledge and grades. A lot of people at University skip lectures and seminars, so I don't think attendance is high on the priority list!

Quick Reply

Latest