The Student Room Group

Does studying abroad negatively impact your social life at uni?

I'm worried I'll make friends with people, go abroad, and then come back and be on my own.
Also, people who have studied abroad - would you recommend it? Do you regret it?
You could easily rephrase this as “does turning down opportunities to move to new places and meet new people out of fear impact your social life”?

You won’t be the only person going abroad, you won’t be the only person on a longer course, you don’t have to stick with the first people you meet at university and never make any new friends.

If you want to experience studying abroad and all the huge benefits that offers then go for it! Any friends worth having won’t let distance destroy your friendship.
Original post by sameasiteverwas
I'm worried I'll make friends with people, go abroad, and then come back and be on my own.
Also, people who have studied abroad - would you recommend it? Do you regret it?

Is that a serious question ?
If you have the opportunity to go abroad.... GO ABROAD.
Original post by PQ
You could easily rephrase this as “does turning down opportunities to move to new places and meet new people out of fear impact your social life”?

You won’t be the only person going abroad, you won’t be the only person on a longer course, you don’t have to stick with the first people you meet at university and never make any new friends.

If you want to experience studying abroad and all the huge benefits that offers then go for it! Any friends worth having won’t let distance destroy your friendship.

You're right actually to be honest. I am a bit scared but I ended up applying for a year abroad in 4/5 unis I applied to. Thanks for the advice!
Original post by NewJobStarter
Original post by sameasiteverwas

Is that a serious question ?

Yes it was but I see that it was a bit silly now. I think UCAS applications stress made me a bit deranged and worry that I wouldn't have a good social life at uni
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
If you have the opportunity to go abroad.... GO ABROAD.

Yesss I agree with this because it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have applied to 3 courses with year abroad built in and 1 course where I will have the option to opt in to time abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending