The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Missed one semester of University of Edinburgh

Hi, I got accepted to study CS starting August 2023. I planned to get a UK student visa after I get a Chinese visa. The PRC embassy apparently refused to return my passport (or so I was told by VFS) until now so I could not apply for a UK student visa. As a result, I have missed this semester for reasons completely beyond my control.

How can I proceed now?
Should I try to get a UK student visa now?
Should I contact the uni and will they help me?

Thanks
Original post by parameters
Hi, I got accepted to study CS starting August 2023. I planned to get a UK student visa after I get a Chinese visa. The PRC embassy apparently refused to return my passport (or so I was told by VFS) until now so I could not apply for a UK student visa. As a result, I have missed this semester for reasons completely beyond my control.

How can I proceed now?
Should I try to get a UK student visa now?
Should I contact the uni and will they help me?

Thanks

If you haven't been in contact with the University throughout, then you won't have been registered with them and you will have lost your place. You need to speak to the University and see if they will defer your place until next year. Zero chance of picking it up this year, even if they did register you (and I can't see how they could have, if you haven't kept closely engaged with them over this situation).
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
If you haven't been in contact with the University throughout, then you won't have been registered with them and you will have lost your place. You need to speak to the University and see if they will defer your place until next year. Zero chance of picking it up this year, even if they did register you (and I can't see how they could have, if you haven't kept closely engaged with them over this situation).

Thank you very much. I just mailed them.

Is there a realistic chance that they will allow me to start from 2024?
Original post by parameters
Thank you very much. I just mailed them.

Is there a realistic chance that they will allow me to start from 2024?

It depends how competitive your application was. If you were strong enough that they can be certain you will still be oneof the best next year, then yes. if they think there might be stronger applicants next year then no, they will ask you to reapply so that they can assess you against the 2024 applicant pool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending