The Student Room Group

Imposter Syndrome and I haven’t even got the job yet

I’m a Comp Sci grad looking for work. I have experience at working as a part time developer for a local business. Mainly experience in JavaScript, Node.JS, SQL and MySQL management with some experience of managing and coding a FastAPI (SQL queries through Python)

The role I applied for is a dev at another local business. However, this one is a significant step up. The salary is graduate level.

I have just been invited to a second interview which I’ve been told is the step before deciding if I get it or not.

At the first interview I got asked loads of questions regarding my technical knowledge. I’m certainly coming in at Junior level and I think they recognise that as several of my university degree alumni work there. I tried to make it clear that I had some decent knowledge in the things I had experience in and although I do have experience of other languages through my degree, it is not to the same proficiency.

One of the questions I got asked was about OOP and how comfortable I was. I have experience through university, but again not really too much from work.

I got asked what my knowledge of APIs were and I said that I managed the one at work. I almost don’t know what my knowledge is because I’ve never managed anything else. However I didn’t say that last part.

I’m absolutely terrified, part of me feels like even if I get the job. I will get there and I won’t be good enough. They’ll realise I’m not up to scratch and sack me. My last role I was one of two developers and so if I couldn’t figure something out, he was the only person I could turn to. This person had more experience, but ultimately they were my best friend doing the same degree as me.

Is this a normal feeling? I probably won’t even get the job, but the way I’m feeling right now makes me wonder if I even want it. It’s making me feel like a total fraud even though I tried my absolute best to be totally transparent.
Original post by xlrspin
I’m a Comp Sci grad looking for work. I have experience at working as a part time developer for a local business. Mainly experience in JavaScript, Node.JS, SQL and MySQL management with some experience of managing and coding a FastAPI (SQL queries through Python)

The role I applied for is a dev at another local business. However, this one is a significant step up. The salary is graduate level.

I have just been invited to a second interview which I’ve been told is the step before deciding if I get it or not.

At the first interview I got asked loads of questions regarding my technical knowledge. I’m certainly coming in at Junior level and I think they recognise that as several of my university degree alumni work there. I tried to make it clear that I had some decent knowledge in the things I had experience in and although I do have experience of other languages through my degree, it is not to the same proficiency.

One of the questions I got asked was about OOP and how comfortable I was. I have experience through university, but again not really too much from work.

I got asked what my knowledge of APIs were and I said that I managed the one at work. I almost don’t know what my knowledge is because I’ve never managed anything else. However I didn’t say that last part.

I’m absolutely terrified, part of me feels like even if I get the job. I will get there and I won’t be good enough. They’ll realise I’m not up to scratch and sack me. My last role I was one of two developers and so if I couldn’t figure something out, he was the only person I could turn to. This person had more experience, but ultimately they were my best friend doing the same degree as me.

Is this a normal feeling? I probably won’t even get the job, but the way I’m feeling right now makes me wonder if I even want it. It’s making me feel like a total fraud even though I tried my absolute best to be totally transparent.

It's really pretty unusual for a company to hire someone for a technical role and then find the person isn't strong enough. They know the level they are looking for, they know what they are prepared/able to train, they know the type of person/personality they want in the team, and generally for IT roles they should get a good number of applicants to select from. So if you get through, you should trust their judgement, so long as you are prepared to learn the technical side and adapt to the team and environment, you will be fine.

Oh, and remember no-one invites someone to interview they don't like the sound of on paper, and no-one ever invites anyone they don't like as well as believe in to a second interview!
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending