The Student Room Group

A-level History NEA Coursework

I am struggling to find any historians views or sources for my question: To what extent was the First World War the period of the military’s most significant influence in German politics between 1848 and 1949?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by andy74
I am struggling to find any historians views or sources for my question: To what extent was the First World War the period of the military’s most significant influence in German politics between 1848 and 1949?

There should be many books on this topic or google scholar articles which you can use as your topic is fairly broad. I would suggest looking at some cheap/used books on amazon around your topic which you think would be helpful as a historians view.
Original post by andy74

Annika Mombauer? Fritz Fischer? Tbh that's not an easy question. Note that military includes the navy as well as the army. And that the lead up to WWI is different to the course of the war.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Annika Mombauer? Fritz Fischer? Tbh that's not an easy question. Note that military includes the navy as well as the army. And that the lead up to WWI is different to the course of the war.

Thanks for that. I’ve have read a few articles by Fritz but I haven’t heard of Annika before. I have found it’s not the easiest question having done research.
Original post by andy74
Thanks for that. I’ve have read a few articles by Fritz but I haven’t heard of Annika before. I have found it’s not the easiest question having done research.

Mombauer is good, particularly around WWI.

Try dividing the period into segments. There will be considerable differences.

You also have the issue that pre 1871 there was no Germany. (Until it was created by, er, the military.) So there might be differences between, say, Prussia and Bavaria.

A key point is to define what you mean by "politics".
Original post by andy74
I'd recommend EuroDocs ( https://eudocs.lib.byu.edu/index.php/Main_Page ) which covers a variety of European history so it should cover German politics
when you research using online articles scroll to the bottom and see what resources/historians they are referencing (the tiny number in straight brackets at the top right of words/statement) as a starting point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending