The Student Room Group

moved out and trouble with school

2 weeks ago my mum and i got into an argument, it escalated and she started beating me up. i ran out the house then came back with my relatives to collect some things and since then have been staying with a friend until my grandmother is able to house me.

i tried to tell my school that i am not living at home anymore and would like to remove my mother off the contact list as my primary guardian as i am 19, and do not wish for her to be involved with my school as causes me unnecessary stress.

the school apparently can't remove my mum as a contact because there must be at least one guardian on my account, and the only one who can alter it to change it to my grandma is my mother- which she definitely won't do.

the only way my school will change it is if i bring up a safeguarding reason (which i don't want to do, i just want to be able to cut ties with her). i really don't know what to do about this, any advice would be handy as my school is now in contact with my mum and she is saying lies about me and it just makes me feel completely powerless.
Reply 1
by school i mean sixth form !!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
2 weeks ago my mum and i got into an argument, it escalated and she started beating me up. i ran out the house then came back with my relatives to collect some things and since then have been staying with a friend until my grandmother is able to house me.

i tried to tell my school that i am not living at home anymore and would like to remove my mother off the contact list as my primary guardian as i am 19, and do not wish for her to be involved with my school as causes me unnecessary stress.

the school apparently can't remove my mum as a contact because there must be at least one guardian on my account, and the only one who can alter it to change it to my grandma is my mother- which she definitely won't do.

the only way my school will change it is if i bring up a safeguarding reason (which i don't want to do, i just want to be able to cut ties with her). i really don't know what to do about this, any advice would be handy as my school is now in contact with my mum and she is saying lies about me and it just makes me feel completely powerless.

On a practical level does it matter if the sixth form is in contact with your mother? You are 19 and legally an adult. It is annoying that she still knows your business, but does it actually make much difference - you are receiving the education, sitting the exams and interacting with staff. Neither she nor the school can make you move back home.

If you are planning to go to university it would be worth discussing estrangement issues with your school. Household income details will be needed for you to get a full loan, and it will be difficult if she refuses to cooperate. Obviously only you know your domestic situation but if she is violent to the point where you have to flee the house, perhaps you should bring up safeguarding rather than protect her, particularly if you have younger siblings at home.

Hope things work out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending