The Student Room Group

"Theory Only" BTEC and ADHD/Mental health issues.

I'm in my second year of an apprenticeship (at my dream place of work) but I'm really struggling with the college element. Being 28 it has been a while since I was in education, with the added rigors of adult life, working around my difficulties with studying and focusing has meant I am very behind.
The problem is that the course is being run as theory only, despite (at least in my understanding) BTEC's supposed to be at least partially practical. I already have a background in engineering and the actual assessments are composed of things I know already, which is making it very difficult to complete them given my mental health problems. My boss doesn't understand as at work I'm fully competent and treated as a fully qualified engineer, yet unable to keep up with assessments that so far have just been about health and safety with a bit of ISO stuff thrown in. I completed the level 2 of this BTEC in 2012 at the same college and it was 50/50 practical, however since then the mechatronics department of the college seems to have all but disappeared, part of me suspects they're running it as "theory only" because they no longer have the resources to teach the practical element.

TLDR: Behind on college work because of untreated ADHD and (in my opinion) poorly taught course that I am more than capable of completing (knowledge wise).

My questions are:
Can a BTEC be "theory only" or would I be right to complain to the college/examining body?

How do people deal with ADHD and other mental health issues when the waiting list for medical help extends beyond the length of the course?

Quick Reply

Latest