The Student Room Group

Still friends?

I left uni a year ago, moved back to my parents house, my close uni friends are still in touch but they’ve never invited me up for any occasion. When I last saw them in person back in June they said I could visit whenever, I’ve been busy working etc.

Anyway, an acquaintance from uni has invited me to their 21st birthday, I met the acquaintance less than a handful of times.

Is it odd that an acquaintance has invited me to an event but my close friends haven’t invited me to anything at all? It’s one of the friends birthdays in a few weeks and they haven’t invited me to a party. My hometown is far away from my old uni but I can’t help but feel as though I should not regard them as friends anymore?

Thoughts please :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
I left uni a year ago, moved back to my parents house, my close uni friends are still in touch but they’ve never invited me up for any occasion. When I last saw them in person back in June they said I could visit whenever, I’ve been busy working etc.

Anyway, an acquaintance from uni has invited me to their 21st birthday, I met the acquaintance less than a handful of times.

Is it odd that an acquaintance has invited me to an event but my close friends haven’t invited me to anything at all? It’s one of the friends birthdays in a few weeks and they haven’t invited me to a party. My hometown is far away from my old uni but I can’t help but feel as though I should not regard them as friends anymore?

Thoughts please :smile:

It’s natural to distance from friends . Make your feelings aware to the uni friends
although im still in uni and might not be the best person to give advice, I thought I should voice out my opinion as I feel the same way regarding sixth form friends as well as uni friends I was extremely close with in past years. of course u already know its very natural for this to happen. yes it can seem a bit hurtful when close friends don't invite us to special occasions yet not so close friends/acquaintance do.

I think it very much depends on what kind of people ur close friends are. if they are someone who isn't so preoccupied about their relationships and are heavily directed towards their work, career, family...it is very normal to not get invited. but then there are people who invite a lot of other people around them and if that's the case, maybe that person may not be the right friend for u. I have had situations (and similar stories from people in universities as well as older relatives/friends) where I thought me and someone were really close but there are some people out there that just consider you as a business partner or a colleague? and that is that. close in uni...barely in contact after. yet there are people willing to make valuable friendships although u may have not had many interactions. my closest friend now from sixth form was an acquaintance and im never in contact with the one person I was stuck to like glue back then haha its just life I guess. so definitely have a feel of what kind of person they are. and definitely don't be weirded out by being invited by an acquaintance. maybe they just really want to be friends with you, or may just want a catch up or some people just like having many people show up to their party :smile:
if you feel confident enough...bring up ur feelings to your close friend. sometimes uncomfortable situations lead to the best outcomes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending