The Student Room Group

Student loan repayment

If I pay off the debt I owe to student finance England, from my previous study, would I be eligible for full tuition loans and maintenance if I went back to university and studies at degree level. I owe roughly 6000
Hi there,

How many years of previous study do you have and do you already hold a qualification? When would your new course start, can you confirm the course name, what university you will attend and the duration of the course? Can you confirm if it is a full time or part time undergraduate course?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Two years of previous study, non degree, I gained a certificate in education from that course. Looking to start the MBBS medicine in 2026 at potentially Hull York, 5 years full time undergraduate
Hi there,

We do take your previous study into consideration when we assess what you would be entitled to. You’re entitled to funding for the length of your course, plus 1 additional year, minus any years of previous study you have. Here’s the calculation we used: 5+1-2= 4 years of funding left. So you would be eligible to apply for full funding for the 1st 4 years of your course and in your final year you will get a NHS bursary.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
We do take your previous study into consideration when we assess what you would be entitled to. You’re entitled to funding for the length of your course, plus 1 additional year, minus any years of previous study you have. Here’s the calculation we used: 5+1-2= 4 years of funding left. So you would be eligible to apply for full funding for the 1st 4 years of your course and in your final year you will get a NHS bursary.
Thanks, Drew

Can you with one hundred percent certainty confirm this as I've been given lots of conflicting information from reps of SFE on this forum previously, mainly that I would have to pay for two years tuition myself
Original post by LJ1989
Can you with one hundred percent certainty confirm this as I've been given lots of conflicting information from reps of SFE on this forum previously, mainly that I would have to pay for two years tuition myself
Hi there,

Just to check, what kind of funding did you get from us for your previous course?

Was it the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans, or did you get an Advanced Leaner Loan instead?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 6
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
Just to check, what kind of funding did you get from us for your previous course?
Was it the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans, or did you get an Advanced Leaner Loan instead?
Thanks, Graeme

It was just tuition fee loan and maintenance loans
Original post by LJ1989
It was just tuition fee loan and maintenance loans
Okay, thanks - based on what you've said the information Drew provided is correct.

To know for sure it's actually worth making an application online, even though you're not planning on studying for a while.

That way, if you apply and give us your course details, the assessors will be able to tell you exactly what you're entitled to, just so you know for sure.

You can then cancel your application and re-apply when you're going to start the course.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Reply 8
Original post by Graeme SFE
Okay, thanks - based on what you've said the information Drew provided is correct.
To know for sure it's actually worth making an application online, even though you're not planning on studying for a while.
That way, if you apply and give us your course details, the assessors will be able to tell you exactly what you're entitled to, just so you know for sure.
You can then cancel your application and re-apply when you're going to start the course.
Thanks, Graeme
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Thankyou I didn't know this was something I could do I will look into this
Original post by LJ1989
Thankyou I didn't know this was something I could do I will look into this
No problem. If you have any further questions let us know 🙂

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 10
Original post by Leah SLC
No problem. If you have any further questions let us know 🙂
Thanks, Leah.

I've been trying to fill out the application it won't accept my passport details, and is asking for bank account information (I only want to know for sure the amount of funding I will receive over the duration of the course) will I get to know this information? It only gives the option to apply for individual years (out of 5)
Original post by LJ1989
I've been trying to fill out the application it won't accept my passport details, and is asking for bank account information (I only want to know for sure the amount of funding I will receive over the duration of the course) will I get to know this information? It only gives the option to apply for individual years (out of 5)
Hi LJ. If this does not accept your Passport Details these can be provided at a later stage or you can upload your Birth Certificate if you are a UK national. You would need to fully submit the application and complete all details requested. Thanks - David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending