The Student Room Group

repayment after retirement

Hi

I've never had a student loan but am considering applying for a PhD and therefore a doctoral loan.

I've checked that I meet eligibility criteria but I can't find any information about how repayment works if you're retired (which I will be by the time I finish). The guidance only talks about being employed or self-employed. How does it work if you're not working but receiving other income, i.e. a small occupational pension, and possibly rental income? And are repayments just based on my income or will my husband's income (also retired) also be taken into account?

Thanks for any advice.
Original post by Lizfm
Hi

I've never had a student loan but am considering applying for a PhD and therefore a doctoral loan.

I've checked that I meet eligibility criteria but I can't find any information about how repayment works if you're retired (which I will be by the time I finish). The guidance only talks about being employed or self-employed. How does it work if you're not working but receiving other income, i.e. a small occupational pension, and possibly rental income? And are repayments just based on my income or will my husband's income (also retired) also be taken into account?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Liz,

To be eligible students must be aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of their course. Any applicants who are aged 60 and over on the first day of their course, will be ineligible for funding.

Regrading repayment, if you're not working which means you're not earning above the threshold for repayment, then we won't expect any repayments.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Liz,

To be eligible students must be aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of their course. Any applicants who are aged 60 and over on the first day of their course, will be ineligible for funding.

Regrading repayment, if you're not working which means you're not earning above the threshold for repayment, then we won't expect any repayments.

Thanks,
Claire

Thanks Clare.
In terms of earning, would that also include half of any rental income on a house I joint own with my husband? And if we sold it, would that count as earnings?
Original post by Lizfm
Thanks Clare.
In terms of earning, would that also include half of any rental income on a house I joint own with my husband? And if we sold it, would that count as earnings?

Hi Liz,

We'd recommend checking this with our Repayments team: they'll be able to confirm this.

You can message them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=806835849916719104 or Facebook: http://m.me/SLCRepayment - alternatively they are also available on the phone, their number is 0300 100 0611.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending