The Student Room Group

Options for ill health in final module of Degree

Hi,
I’m a mature student and am just starting the final module of the final year of my Degree in Special Effects. My average grade for all my previous modules has been 82%. Unfortunately my hip arthritis has deteriorated to a point that I am unable to walk. The Degree is very hands on and requires me to be able to stand (which currently I can’t). I’m absolutely devastated, does anyone know if mitigating circumstances can be used to mark my final module as I don’t think I’ll be able to complete it? I am going to talk to Uni tomorrow, but just wondering if there are any policy’s about this?
Many Thanks
Original post by Sadie RJ
Hi,
I’m a mature student and am just starting the final module of the final year of my Degree in Special Effects. My average grade for all my previous modules has been 82%. Unfortunately my hip arthritis has deteriorated to a point that I am unable to walk. The Degree is very hands on and requires me to be able to stand (which currently I can’t). I’m absolutely devastated, does anyone know if mitigating circumstances can be used to mark my final module as I don’t think I’ll be able to complete it? I am going to talk to Uni tomorrow, but just wondering if there are any policy’s about this?
Many Thanks
The policy will be entirely internal to your university and course.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
The policy will be entirely internal to your university and course.
Thank you, I suspected it would be, but was just checking if there is a national policy.
Reply 3
Original post by Sadie RJ
Hi,
Many Thanks

I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but:

Your university is likely to have a Disability Services team (though the name may vary) and it would be worth talking to them, as it sounds like your condition might constitute a disability.

Your university should be looking to see whether reasonable adjustments can be made to the way the module is assessed that would mitigate, at least in part, the problems that your condition causes.

See, for example, this guidance: https://www.oiahe.org.uk/resources-and-publications/good-practice-framework/supporting-disabled-students/what-does-the-law-say/

You should also contact your student union for advice and support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending