The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*starry_eyed_*
Get it checked out by the doctor. Do you have a history of breast cancer in your family?

Not specifically breast cancer but yes, there has been a lot in my family.

Anonymous
do not worry, a few months ago aged 17 i also felt a lump in my breast (search "lump in breast" and it is my thread)

i went to the doctors and she examined me and decided to refer me but told me that she thought it was just a fibroadenoma (a benign fibrous lump which is totally normal)

at the hospital, the doctor examined me again and sent me for an ultrasound scan. the results came back that it was most likely a fibroadenoma but she took tissue samples to check. a few weeks later i got a letter saying the tissue samples had come back fine and it was just a fibroadenoma but that if i felt another lump in the future, i should get it checked out and not become complacement.

chances are, this is the same thing. some people do get breast cancer very young but it is unusual and is generally in families with strong breast cancer genes. do not worry about it and i hope it is ok

This has made me feel a lot better and I'm glad it worked out for you but did the lump actually hurt you? I can feel this kind of ache which makes it so uncomfortable I can't explain.

And to everyone else: thank you for responding, I will go to a doctor as soon as my exams are over.. I don't want extra stress. But I do just want to know how common it is for young people.
Cancer can strike at any age. I had it when i was six months old.
See your doctor and keep seeing him until you are sure of what the problem is.
I hope it's not anything serious :smile: :hugs:
Anonymous
do not worry, a few months ago aged 17 i also felt a lump in my breast (search "lump in breast" and it is my thread)

i went to the doctors and she examined me and decided to refer me but told me that she thought it was just a fibroadenoma (a benign fibrous lump which is totally normal)

at the hospital, the doctor examined me again and sent me for an ultrasound scan. the results came back that it was most likely a fibroadenoma but she took tissue samples to check. a few weeks later i got a letter saying the tissue samples had come back fine and it was just a fibroadenoma but that if i felt another lump in the future, i should get it checked out and not become complacement.

chances are, this is the same thing. some people do get breast cancer very young but it is unusual and is generally in families with strong breast cancer genes. do not worry about it and i hope it is ok

:ditto: I was 16 at the time (18 now), and the exact process happened to me. Doctors are really good about this, they take you seriously and get it sorted out asap. Don't be embarrassed, don't be shy, it's always safer to get this sorted once and for all.

Good luck x
visesh
What the hell is the point of saying that? I'm pretty sure the OP knows the latter without hearing it from you.

Don't try to be so oversmart.
Reply 24
accelerator
Don't try to be so oversmart.

:rolleyes:
Reply 25
Redpanda91
Don't worry, it could just be a lymph node, or a blocked milk duct, or something like that. Is there any change you're pregnant? If it hasn't gone in a couple of days, or gets worse, go to the doctor, but it's most probably nothing serious :hugs:

Thank you. No, it's not pregnancy.

I thought it might be because of my period so I was relatively calm until I read on the internet that if it's a pain in a single breast then it won't be due to hormones. Also the pain is very different to the pain I get normally.
plus I'm happy to take any PMs about this my lovelies!
Anonymous
Not specifically breast cancer but yes, there has been a lot in my family.

This has made me feel a lot better and I'm glad it worked out for you but did the lump actually hurt you? I can feel this kind of ache which makes it so uncomfortable I can't explain.

And to everyone else: thank you for responding, I will go to a doctor as soon as my exams are over.. I don't want extra stress. But I do just want to know how common it is for young people.

the fact that there has been cancer in your family is going to make you more aware of it (my mum had breast cancer 3 years ago so i was very aware of it)

the lump doesnt hurt from day to day but sometimes when i think about it (especially before i had been to the doctors) it ached slightly, but i think this might have been psychological as it has happened very rarely since i was told it was fine.

i really hope it works out for you alright :hugs:
Anonymous
Please keep anon.

Is it possible to be 18 (closer to 17) and get breast cancer? Recently I felt a hard lump just on the right boob and it's become more and more noticeable and today is starting to hurt a lot. I'm terrified, please tell me if you know anyone really young who's suffered from it so I get the full picture.

Firstly cancer doesn't hurt. Secondly are you near your period? Even if you're not lots of girls get lumps in their breasts at certain times of the month due to hormones. I get them and they do hurt or feel tender. Go to the doctor if you're worried but chances are it's nothing :-D
Reply 29
Go see a doctor!

But to add a comforting story to all the chaos: someone in my class had the exact same thing a year or two ago (she was 16?) and it turned out to simply be a lump and nothing else and they removed it and she was fine and used it as an excuse to skip PE the rest of the year ^^
super-emily
:ditto: I was 16 at the time (18 now), and the exact process happened to me. Doctors are really good about this, they take you seriously and get it sorted out asap. Don't be embarrassed, don't be shy, it's always safer to get this sorted once and for all.

Good luck x

they really are! i was at uni when i found it and got my boyfriend to check i was being rational. the worst bit really was telling my mum when i went back home for a weekend because she had had breast cancer herself, but she just wished i had told her sooner so i didnt worry about it much. it really helps if you have a support network around yourself (although awkward when my mum told my dad and then the two of us had breakfast together straight after!)
And to everyone else: thank you for responding, I will go to a doctor as soon as my exams are over.. I don't want extra stress.

Are you should you want to wait until after exams? :s-smilie: It's not likely to be cancer but it is possible, and if it does turn out to be cancerous then you'll definitely regret not sorting it out as soon as possible.

Breast cancer has a relatively high survival rate for cancers, but that's only if it gets treated. I'm sure you'll be fine but thought someone should say this. :smile:

Latest