The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
we're all worried about scotland dear, we all are. keep them with your thoughts and prayers.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 21
It's always funny to think of one's own way of speaking as an accent. I will forever consider anything dissimilar to myself an accent... and I really don't know what my accent sounds like.

I imagine I will likely introduce myself as Andrew from Canada... or Vancouver, BC, Canada etc. I'll have to do that for a while I guess.

Oh well I am looking forward to it as long as I don't have to deal with to much anti-americanism.
Feral Beast
Sure there are English people who hate the Scots but very very few and I don't think I've met one. I will take the risk of saying that there is more anti-English sentiment in Scotland than anti-Scottish sentiment in England.

LOL, see in my experience we limit our anti-englishness to laughing when you get beat at the football and cheering on the team you're playing. I lived in yorkshire for 2 years and in that time ended up pressing charges on some local people who shouted abuse at me and my family, all anti-scottish abuse, for a number of months.

I would say there's probably an equal amount of anti-scottishness in england as there is in england towards scottish people. We're generally a friendly country and you take out your aggression on foreign football supporters :wink: (I joke, of course).
0404343m
A huge surprise that a St Andrews student doesn't like Glasgow. I'd love to see this wide ranging research that qualifies one to say 'by all accounts'. Let me know when you meet a working class Scot up there, I'll do my best to look like I expected it. It's officially the most elitist University in the UK now, so I'd expect nothing less.

Well, my mum is English, thus making me half English. Yes, most Scots would root for anyone except England in all things sporting, but thats really as far as it goes. I won't give you a history lesson about Thatcherism in Scotland, but if you look around that time, that was the high watermark of anti-English feeling in 20th century Scotland, and unfortunately most of the 1980s remains engrained as a stereotype as far as Glasgow is concerned. My English half of the family is split between London and Liverpool- and I've had twice as much anti-Scottish sentiment down there than my mum has had in 23 years up here. Glasgow is regarded as some giant slum full of headbangers who want to mug/stab everyone by the same enlightened people who will warn you us Scots hate the English. 3,000 people at this University come from England, I don't think that would be the case if it were as bad as some of the ignorant few would make out. There is people who hate the English- and I know a few. If you don't know anyone in England who hates the Scots/Irish/Asians/Immigrants then I'd be nothing short of amazed. It is everywhere, but its in a tiny, tiny minority.

The President-elect of the Student Representative Council, recently voted in by GU students, is English, and doesn't try to hide it. We obviously didn't try hard enough, as a city of Anti-English hooligans, to hound her out of the University and back down south, did we? Don't believe everything you read on TSR- there's a few too many cretins on this board for my liking.

Very good post :yep:

I reckon the reason people think we're so racist towards those south of the border is because we laugh at the reactions of football fans when England lose a match :p:
anbell
It's always funny to think of one's own way of speaking as an accent. I will forever consider anything dissimilar to myself an accent... and I really don't know what my accent sounds like.

I imagine I will likely introduce myself as Andrew from Canada... or Vancouver, BC, Canada etc. I'll have to do that for a while I guess.

Oh well I am looking forward to it as long as I don't have to deal with to much anti-americanism.

If I'm entirely honest, and again this isn't deliberate scot bashing, its being dead honest on the issue.

Any accent goes bar english in the small proportion of situations where it makes a blind bit of difference in my experience.
Reply 25
Any abuse you'll get is probably just when the football is on, as said above and thats generally just because there's always been a rivalry there, and it'll always be light-hearted. You'll only get abuse if you're snobby and believe England to be better than Scotland, and declare this on a regular basis while in Glasgow.
0404343m
A huge surprise that a St Andrews student doesn't like Glasgow. I'd love to see this wide ranging research that qualifies one to say 'by all accounts'. Let me know when you meet a working class Scot up there, I'll do my best to look like I expected it. It's officially the most elitist University in the UK now, so I'd expect nothing less.

Well, my mum is English, thus making me half English. Yes, most Scots would root for anyone except England in all things sporting, but thats really as far as it goes. I won't give you a history lesson about Thatcherism in Scotland, but if you look around that time, that was the high watermark of anti-English feeling in 20th century Scotland, and unfortunately most of the 1980s remains engrained as a stereotype as far as Glasgow is concerned. My English half of the family is split between London and Liverpool- and I've had twice as much anti-Scottish sentiment down there than my mum has had in 23 years up here. Glasgow is regarded as some giant slum full of headbangers who want to mug/stab everyone by the same enlightened people who will warn you us Scots hate the English. 3,000 people at this University come from England, I don't think that would be the case if it were as bad as some of the ignorant few would make out. There is people who hate the English- and I know a few. If you don't know anyone in England who hates the Scots/Irish/Asians/Immigrants then I'd be nothing short of amazed. It is everywhere, but its in a tiny, tiny minority.

The President-elect of the Student Representative Council, recently voted in by GU students, is English, and doesn't try to hide it. We obviously didn't try hard enough, as a city of Anti-English hooligans, to hound her out of the University and back down south, did we? Don't believe everything you read on TSR- there's a few too many cretins on this board for my liking.

You make a cracking point with the emboldened bit, are the working class lot more enlightened?

My ideas on the issue of glasgow stem from a few of my peers who live there (and were raised there) on my course, and two mates from home who went to uni there. I try not to take into account what we get in lectures about Glasgow, as its never going to paint a fair picture of the place.

Don't get me wrong, england is full of anti-scottish sentiment, its disgusting on both sides of the border. (I've only encountered such anti scottish sentiment among the more working class lot at home, I would hope its not that wide spread amongst them, but fear it probably is).
Feral Beast
Actually, I agree with you about the aggression being non-violent, I'd say English football louts were amongst the worst in Europe and a total embarassment. What I was trying to get at what how they seem to feel about English - it seems to be common from my experience that Scottish people feel as though they have been subjugated by the English for hundreds of years and that we are personally responsible for everything wrong with their lives. That is just the SNP lot admittedly but there isn't really a whole group of people in England that have such contempt for Scotland, if you get me. Personally I love Scottish people and Scotland (like I said my Aunt is Scottish) but feel as though English are hated there and I can totally understand the OP's concerns. Maybe it is a misconception, I don't know.

Hrm, I think it's a deep-rooted thing from hundreds of years back when you lot invaded etc etc. As you say though, it's very rare that any of it is manifested violently/physically - the only comments I've ever heard are those relating to sport and how pathetic you are when you lose and how there are a fair few football hooligans. And if there is an "SNP lot" who go around professing their hatred then I've never met them personally and I think it'd be very unlikely that anyone who moved up here to study would witness any anti-english aggression unrelated to sport
glasgow is an amzing city which is really cultural and diverse. i love it! i think you will too! the whole scottish/english thing happens on both sides of the border and its all light hearted fun. i know that i get a few comments when i go south and i know english people here who get a few comments about being english but its only ever a joke, noone takes it seriously lol

go to glasgow and have a great 4 years at uni!

and if you do meet anyone who says anything just give as good as you get! lol
Reply 29
Danielle89
LOL, see in my experience we limit our anti-englishness to laughing when you get beat at the football and cheering on the team you're playing. I lived in yorkshire for 2 years and in that time ended up pressing charges on some local people who shouted abuse at me and my family, all anti-scottish abuse, for a number of months.

I would say there's probably an equal amount of anti-scottishness in england as there is in england towards scottish people. We're generally a friendly country and you take out your aggression on foreign football supporters :wink: (I joke, of course).

I got put in jail because of you :mad:
LooieENG
I got put in jail because of you :mad:

care to elaborate?
Reply 31
don't worry about it, you will be fine, people wont care that you're english. glasgow is a pretty international uni anyway. any comments will most likely be banter...mostly to do with football. to be honest the sectarian chat (rangers/celtic) is a bigger problem than any anti-english stuff..
Reply 32
Danielle89
care to elaborate?

nevermind
LooieENG
nevermind

Im afraid it wasnt me who was responsible - I was staying in Hornsea at the time, not Keighley :wink:
Reply 34
Well my dads english and my mums a scot and i was born in oxford but i've lived in sotland almost all my life and in east kilbride just south of glasgow since i was 7.

I've had a few jokes made here and there but no major problems. As long as you don't act like a snob, quote Thatcher at all or imply england is better than scotland you will be fine.

Just leave your england top at home and nobody will say anything to you.

Most of the abuse you hear about scots giving to the english is just friendly banter about how your accent makes you sound gay. The serious causes are just when idiots go about drunk in a full england strip to an east end pub singing english football songs. NEVER DO THAT!

You will be fine. I know loads of people who are considered to be "English but their actually really nice"
Reply 35
Danielle89
Im afraid it wasnt me who was responsible - I was staying in Hornsea at the time, not Keighley :wink:

your loss :tongue:

also, I was joking, but it failed :frown:
CJ99
Well my dads english and my mums a scot and i was born in oxford but i've lived in sotland almost all my life and in east kilbride just south of glasgow since i was 7.

I've had a few jokes made here and there but no major problems. As long as you don't act like a snob, quote Thatcher at all or imply england is better than scotland you will be fine.

Just leave your england top at home and nobody will say anything to you.

Most of the abuse you hear about scots giving to the english is just friendly banter about how your accent makes you sound gay. The serious causes are just when idiots go about drunk in a full england strip to an east end pub singing english football songs. NEVER DO THAT!

You will be fine. I know loads of people who are considered to be "English but their actually really nice"

Wow me too. Well, I've been here all my life. Hello.

And yeah, as a lot of people have said there really is very little anti-English feeling here. But, also been said, don't do anything silly and go looking for trouble.
Reply 37
about the anti scottish sentiment in england, I have never ever encountered any of that and wasn't aware that there was any, or has even been a history of any - when I meet scottish people, the fact they are scottish or have a scottish accent doesn't register at all unless we start talking about where we live.

I'm one of two british bred people in my year and nationality has never been an issue, as my school is really international and my family is hungarian, so I'm not at all 'england wooooo yehhh ladds'. The only xenephobia esque incident I have ever encountered is going to wales where people gave us filthy looks, started talking in welsh if we tried to talk to them and obviously there is anti english sentiment in ireland ect...I always though scotland was completely different, but yeh as I said in the post I suddenly got slightly worried. (no offense to any welsh or Irish out there - I really hope I'm not succeeding in insulting everyone in the british isles.)
Sorry to hijack the thread but here goes.

I have heard that Scotland is very wet and cold which makes it miserable.Is

it really that bad ? How would you compare it to somewhere like the midlands

e.g manchester ? To be more specific - Aberdeen,Glasgow and Edinburgh.I

have seen a few courses in Scotland that i have liked,hence the post.

Thank you.
Reply 39
terpineol
You make a cracking point with the emboldened bit, are the working class lot more enlightened?

My ideas on the issue of glasgow stem from a few of my peers who live there (and were raised there) on my course, and two mates from home who went to uni there. I try not to take into account what we get in lectures about Glasgow, as its never going to paint a fair picture of the place.

Don't get me wrong, england is full of anti-scottish sentiment, its disgusting on both sides of the border. (I've only encountered such anti scottish sentiment among the more working class lot at home, I would hope its not that wide spread amongst them, but fear it probably is).

Of course not, but to use the term 'by all accounts', when talking of an urban area of well over 1 million people, is a crass overgeneralistion. Even more so when you talk from the experience of one of the most socially exclusive towns in all of Britain. You freely admit your experiences are anecdotal, which have as their basis no more than a handful of people, some of whom you have known for a little over 18 months. As far as being in a position to pass comment goes, that isn't it.

I know of people who have been beaten up in the historic old town of Edinburgh- but I wouldn't dream of characterising a city on the basis of it. Glasgow on the whole has a high rate of crime- but I suggest you interpret the statistics further before drawing any conclusions. By land coverage and population spread, it is as least as safe as Edinburgh, although it is let down by four or five crime hotspots in the East and North of the city, usually council housing estates, which skew the averages accordingly. Hence why an area of less than one square mile (out of Glasgow's 200+ sq.m) accounts for a large chunk of crime and has a life expectency of 44 years. If you ever come across any 'anti-English' statistics, please do let me know, otherwise you run the risk of making claims which are, on the whole, unfounded. Anti-English sentiment here is a tiny problem, which can be proved by the small number of racially aggravated attacks compared with almost any other city in the UK. In terms of GDP, it is now the third richest city in the UK, and the West End is the highest of the lot. Hardly the den of iniquity which some stereotypes would portray, and the University still manages to be one of the most socially inclusive in Britain. If there is a significant problem with anti-Scottishness or Englishness somewhere in the British Isles, it's certainly not in this neck of the woods. Live in your fantasy land of anecdotes and circumstancial evidence if you must, but don't try to pass your opinions off onto others as gospel if you lack the facts to back it up.

Latest

Trending

Trending