The Student Room Group

Disaster! She wants to be my girlfriend!

please keep anon.

Basically, my only friend, just told me she really likes me and wants to take our relationship beyond just being friends.
Both of us have lead pretty rough lives. People dieing, bullying, abuse, neglect etc. and we've had each other to talk to so its been loads more bearable.
Im an average looking guy and she is, for want of a better word, smoking hot. The only reason she isn't getting massive amounts of male attention is because people regard her as a wierdo and a loner.

Thing is, I want to take it further. I really do. But I don't want to risk breaking up and then losing her as a friend. At the same time, I don't want to turn her down because that will also strain our friendship. What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just go for it.
Reply 2
go for it!
but talk to her about how you feel before hand. and warn that it may not work out, and you don't want to lose her.
see how she feels when you tell her that!
Reply 3
well if you have feelings for each other, surely thats all that matters. As Resok said, go for it
Reply 4
Go for it. But tell her what you told us. That you feel she is too valuable to loose and be careful.
Reply 5
i think you should deffo go for it
however
why don't you discuss these issues through with her?
you never know, she might have felt this way for a long time, weighing out the pro's and con's, same as you..
just TALK to her, tell her you really want to say yes but you don't want to risk your friendship, and see how she feels!
good luck =)
Chances are she's worrying about the same thing as you in some way. That just highlights the need to talk about it - not to look for reasons why not, but just to assess it together.

My own feeling is you're in a very special position, and if you can make a go of it, why not? Life isn't long, and would be awfully empty in holding people at arm's length when in fact they stand to make you very happy. Risky? Is life anything else? Is love anything else, for that matter?
Reply 7
she smoking hot? and she gets bullied?

those dont match, you're lying somewhere
Go for it, chances are it will be worth it :smile:
Reply 9
nuttynikki
go for it!
but talk to her about how you feel before hand. and warn that it may not work out, and you don't want to lose her.
see how she feels when you tell her that!

Yerrp! This!! ^^
Mike_R
she smoking hot? and she gets bullied?

those dont match, you're lying somewhere

In my school we have one really hot russian girl who's been made an outcast :frown: . She is really hot too, but because her english ain't great and she's slightly arrogant when it comes to her academics (in all honesty she's right to brag about them they are incredible) the crowd don't talk to her. So it can happen. Just not often.
Reply 11
Do It
Reply 12
Go for it. Just remember not to change the way you act around each other- it's perfectly possible to go from a strong friendship -> strong relationship smoothly. Don't regret not taking up the chance- if you both want it, there will only be tension when you speak or meet up otherwise.
Reply 13
tap her
Reply 14
Crack on or move on tbh
If your true friends, you'll overcome it even if you have a bad breakup.

One of my ex's was a good friend beforehand, both had a lot in common as we had been bullied etc. We broke up mainly because of circumstances (exams, her trying to get into Oxford), and we were a bit bitter with each other for a few months afterwards (I got with a different girl a few days later, and unsurprisingly she took that quite badly and ignored me for a bit). However, by the end of the summer before we went for uni, we were back to being really good friends, and if anything, I'd say we're better friends now than what we were beforehand.
Reply 16
Go for it or you'll always wonder "What if?"

Man up, for pity's sake.
Reply 17
Go for it, you are clearly attracted to her, and you get along amazingly well.... soo...... there's nothing else to think about?
Go for it! Opportunities like this dont come along everyday. Make sure you discuss your fears with her first.
Reply 19
Go for it :smile: Like everyone's said before, if you really are such good friends even if you didn't work out, you'd hopefully be able to put it behind you and still be friends. Hopefully it won't come to that though, my bf was my best friend for 2 years before we started going out and it's the best thing :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending