The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Rebecca/Becca
Yeah, that was like Shakespeare time aka the 16th Century. Yes, young people have always had sex, but they were married and had a husband to support them.

1) I think you only need to go back to the 1920s (or the furthest the 1880s or so) to find girls of 12 getting married.

2) People are arguing about the emotional consequences of underage sex, not the economical ones so I don't see that your point is at all valid.
on the radio/news they said doctors are asking for conselling as they dont know how to react to having to give the Pill to 10yr old girls.
Reply 42
Rebecca/Becca
Surely if young girls know the morning after pill is available, that would cause them to be more casual about having unprotected sex?

in my experience, if they're going to have sex, they do it. when i was 16 my mother confiscated the condoms she found under my bed. So, very stupidly and immaturely, i relied on withdrawal instead. and almost got myself into trouble. my school didn't give out the morning after pill as it was private but it could have saved me a lot of unnecessary worry
In an ideal world...with the most ideal conditions....sex is most practical 16yrs plus - its not much too ask...but i guess peer pressure may be difficult if your family has a history of welfare scroungyness and your peer pressure and friendship group consists of a bunch of slágs - girls and boys.

Make sex illegal before 16! ahaha :smile:
Really that would be of benefit to everyone but hey its hypothetical...and obviously impossible to manage.
Giving the pill to 10yr olds? Argg...im going to be blunt and honest here...im a late starter perhaps...but i didn't masturbate till i was 17...it was because i am a bit of an innocent...i was brought up as an innocent child and remain so a wee bit at heart. Pills at 10 yrs old? How very very sad, very pathetic and very low. :frown:
Reply 45
puppy
1) I think you only need to go back to the 1920s (or the furthest the 1880s or so) to find girls of 12 getting married.

2) People are arguing about the emotional consequences of underage sex, not the economical ones so I don't see that your point is at all valid.

The reason I said that is because earlier some people were discussing the fact that teenagers who have babies often don't have the financial means to support raising a baby.
What I am trying to say is society is different now and I believe the way to lower the incredibly high rate of teenage pregnancies is better sex education. If people feel they are ready for sex, they can do it, I just think it is the resposibility of a child's parents and the education system to make kids aware, from an early age of the consequences of sexual intercourse.
Reply 46
wizard
In an ideal world...with the most ideal conditions....sex is most practical 16yrs plus - its not much too ask...but i guess peer pressure may be difficult if your family has a history of welfare scroungyness and your peer pressure and friendship group consists of a bunch of slágs - girls and boys.

Make sex illegal before 16! ahaha :smile:
Really that would be of benefit to everyone but hey its hypothetical...and obviously impossible to manage.

It is illegal
wizard
Giving the pill to 10yr olds? Argg...im going to be blunt and honest here...im a late starter perhaps...but i didn't masturbate till i was 17...it was because i am a bit of an innocent...i was brought up as an innocent child and remain so a wee bit at heart. Pills at 10 yrs old? How very very sad, very pathetic and very low. :frown:

to be honest, i dont see why they need it, as most 10 yr olds havent started their hoohaas yet so wouldnt get pregnant anyway. the doc should just tell them about protection from disesa.
but i always though sex ed encouraged kids to do it. but surely, these kids must be lerning about it elsewhere as sex ed doesnt start until age 14
Reply 48
magiccarpet
to be honest, i dont see why they need it, as most 10 yr olds havent started their hoohaas yet so wouldnt get pregnant anyway. the doc should just tell them about protection from disesa.
but i always though sex ed encouraged kids to do it. but surely, these kids must be lerning about it elsewhere as sex ed doesnt start until age 14

When I first had sex ed, I was thoroughly disgusted!! (I was 11)
Reply 49
magiccarpet

Maybe most 10 year olds haven't started their periods but the average age for girls to start their periods in this country at the moment is 12, which still means doctors would be giving morning after pills to very young girls.

I don't see how sex ed would encourage people to have sex. I'm sure most kids don't want to get pregnant and die of AIDS, which is the jist of most sex ed classes.
puppy
Maybe most 10 year olds haven't started their periods but the average age for girls to start their periods in this country at the moment is 12, which still means doctors would be giving morning after pills to very young girls.

I don't see how sex ed would encourage people to have sex. I'm sure most kids don't want to get pregnant and die of AIDS, which is the jist of most sex ed classes.

i meant sex ed gets kids thinking about sex and wondering and talking about it so thus engouages them
lynseyweth
This has probably been mentioned before, but I haven't came across it recently and feel the need to mention it.

I have read so many times on various forums and you hear about it all the time these days about girls and boys under the age of 16 having sex.
Some of these children are as young as 11 (and I am sure younger), and not only do I find it shocking, but also I find it so sad that children as young as 12/13 (11 in some cases) have had sex at such a young age! It really does make me feel sad.

I wonder what the parents are doing whilst their 12 year old children are out having sex? Maybe I am old fashioned and not understanding the norms of today, but when I was 12 my parents wouldn't let me out of their sight, there was no way I could be having sex (Christ I wouldn't even know what to do at that age).

Personally I think I was too young mentally to loose my virginity when I was 16, so these children under 13 must really not be prepared for sex, no matter how much they think they are. (Especially young girls who also won't be fully developed physically - surely this can be dangerous for them?)
The more I get older, the more I realise how children just don't seem to care anymore, they seem to know far too much these days, and it scares me that when I have children it will be 10 times worse by then. I will live in fear of letting them out of the house in case they have sex whilst they are still children. It must be devasting as a parent to find out that your 12 year old little girl has had sex.

Anyway rant over for now!

i agree with you 100%

something really needs to be done about the issue

i just wish i knew why kids that young feel they should be having sex.

kids have no innocence anymore
puppy
It is illegal

God damn it - i apologise - im tired. Indeed it is illegal.
Rebecca/Becca
When I first had sex ed, I was thoroughly disgusted!! (I was 11)

we had it in year 5 so i must have been about 8/9

eww it freaked me out

to be honest 15 was the earliest i started thinking bout sex, but i didn't do anything till it was legal and i felt ready
To make it very difficult for young people to get condoms and the relevant protections? Would this work? It would promote the onset of thought like..."ahhh i can't get no protection, it'd be stupid to have sex at such an age...i could get pregnant". A sex-ID card of sorts lol
wizard
To make it very difficult for young people to get condoms and the relevant protections? Would this work? It would promote the onset of thought like..."ahhh i can't get no protection, it'd be stupid to have sex at such an age...i could get pregnant". A sex-ID card of sorts lol

condoms are availible in most supermarkets etc and fmaily planning clinics, there is no age restriction on these.

i think we need to discourage kids from having sex. why on earth they think they should be having it underage is beyond me anyway. persoanlly i think its an unwise choice to have sex unless you are mature enough to handle all of the issues that go with it. kids as young as 10 are not. and most 14/15 are having enough issues coping with life anyway.
Reply 56
xXMessedUpXx
condoms are availible in most supermarkets etc and fmaily planning clinics, there is no age restriction on these.

i think we need to discourage kids from having sex. why on earth they think they should be having it underage is beyond me anyway. persoanlly i think its an unwise choice to have sex unless you are mature enough to handle all of the issues that go with it. kids as young as 10 are not. and most 14/15 are having enough issues coping with life anyway.

By that rationale 16 year olds still aren't mature enough in that they couldn't deal with getting pregnant. If you can't take yourseld to a family planning clinic to get an abortion/morning after pill or deal financially and emotionally with having a child, then you aren't mature enough. I'd say 17/18 would be the very earliest you could manage that.
Reply 57
The law is a joke though. I don't think many couples think, oh no we can't have sex. The police might find out.

I guess its only purpose is to prevent older guys taking advantage of like 12 or 13 girls because a lot of young teenage girls these days would jump at the chance to get with an older guy.
Reply 58
wizard

If you deny people access to contraception, they will still have sex. They will just have unprotected sex. The kids sleeping together at 12 and so on are generally very naive - denying them any access to contraception will not make them act responsibly.
wizard
They are also children at that age...and when pregancies occur (as a result of sex...shock :eek: ), parents will be needed - its not individual responsibility because at that age with a child, the responsibility also lies with the parents - a very early supporting network will be needed to put into place and that affects so much...what about the mother of the teenage mother? Or the father? He may have to put in 33% more hours at least at work to help support? And the mother? Not only does she have a kid of her own, but a granddaughter - and then talk circulates around the community - as parents they can tend to get an awful lot of abuse (some abuse some kept discrete but all knowing all the same thats its happening)...the daughter gets slagged off for being a teenage pregnancy case...and of course possibly conflicting relations with father of the child and his own family - so you're saying its the right of the individual? Its clearly a multi-dimensional thing.. come on....there's some very simplistic, ill-thought out arguments on here.

(the top sentence in my post was a quote from someone else. you have replied to the wrong post)

Latest

Trending

Trending