The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
susiemakemeblue
Yeah, they basically work by plotting your periods and body temperature on a graph, I think. Very hit and miss. Not something you really want to do unless getting pregnant wouldn't be a big problem.

I wouldn't go there anyway. :smile:
Sounds as..."effective" as withdrawel lol
Me neither! Imagine the pressure to have sex during the low risk times. It'd take all the romance and spontaneity out of it. You'd be like, "Oh, Tuesday the 5th, I guess we'd better have sex then! Off we go!"

And what if you'd had a really crappy day and all you wanted to do was go to sleep, but your partner wanted to have sex? I'd feel really guilty if I didn't have sex, because I'd be making him wait a couple of weeks until the next safe time, but I wouldn't enjoy it at all.

And conversely, what if you're really horny and in the mood for sex during one of your high risk times? Very risky indeed. Not sure I'd be able to stop myself.
Reply 83
It totally undoes all the teaching and safe sex and stuff to spout such unreliable crap!

And now I'm worried cos my parents are Catholic lol and I don't want loads of siblings (I have one older one) cos frankly at the age of 19 I'm too old!! hopefully cos my parents are 52 they are too old for more children. Blargggghhhhhhh!
I know you really don't want to imagine your parents having sex, but I would have thought that if they could go 19 years without having any more kids, they either have an extremely passionless relationship, or they were using some kind of artificial contraception. Natural family planning just doesn't work. Plain as.
Reply 85
I hope you're right :biggrin: Have some rep!

edit- when i can give it! blagh!
Reply 86
I'm part of something at uni which aims to go into schools teaching teenagers about sex education. Its amazing how little (or how much) some teenagers do know. I think i was pretty clued up for my age, i liked to read a lot and i was interested in biology so i knew my stuff. My sister is 12 and the thought of her even looking at boys like that is so scary that i'm tempted to lock her in a cupboard until she is 18! :eek: My mum has always been very open with her, much more than she was with me and my sister never feels embarassed about asking questions which i think is how it should be. Out of my class in primary school, 10 of the people are now parents and i'm 20.
i think sex ed should be stopped until age 16 to discourage sex. i think all parents should censore the kids tv and reading material. they instead are working long hours or down the pub to look after the children. do you think with good middle class parenting the kids would be doing this? no they'd be doing maths with a home tutor
Reply 88
magiccarpet
i think sex ed should be stopped until age 16 to discourage sex. i think all parents should censore the kids tv and reading material. they instead are working long hours or down the pub to look after the children. do you think with good middle class parenting the kids would be doing this? no they'd be doing maths with a home tutor

You really are trying to p*ss as many people as possible off for neg rep aren't you? :rolleyes:
Lol if children were taught much earlier about sex and people were more open about the consequences of sex at an early age then i think that there would be fewer problems with underage sex or teen pregnancies. Cutting out sex ed before the age of 16 will not make a difference, in fact it would probably make things worse. It is obvious from statistics that it is ignorance and misunderstanding that causes diseases and unplanned pregancies. I just think that sex ed needs to be made a bit more open and "shocking" as it were, to show that this issue really is serious and what can happen. Perhaps they should send round vicky from Little Britain with her baby :rolleyes: hehe

xxxx
Reply 90
As far as I'm concerned, sex ed from an early age is vital. I'm not saying that kids should be taught the inns and outs of sex - even with sex ed i didn't learn most of the important things until fairly recently - but the basics. Teen pregnancy is a terrible thing for a child to go through - particularly if they don't believe in abortion - so to not do so is appalling.

I remember when all the hype sprung up about the use of teen mags in sex ed classes, there was a quote from a magazine editor explaining why such education was essential:

"Just look at the letters page of our magazine. From girls of 13, 14 - even 16 - we get letters saying things like, "I sat on the toilet after a boy had used it - might i be pregnant". The worst one came from a 15 year old girl: "I had sex with a boy six months ago, and since then I haven't had a period. Am I pregnant?"."

Something has to be done to tackle such ignorance.
As for underage sex itself, I see no problem with it beyond a certain point. I think everyone develops at their own pace, so if you're ready at 15, good luck to you.
magiccarpet

mmm, selfish parents spending all that time working when they should be at home with the kids.
Reply 92
pippa_87
I agree. I don't see underage sex as much of a problem. It depends on who you are as an individual and when you feel ready for it. Two of my friends lost their virginity at 15 and had absolutely no problems as a result. There are lots of people aged 18+ who aren't ready for sex yet! It's not that long since people in this country were being married off at 14/15 and having children. Why is 16 considered the 'right' age for people to start having sex if they want to?

I can see and sympathise with the argument about people 'not having developed physically' but ultimately isn't it the right of the individual person to decide when they're ready? I don't think there's anyway of preventing 'underage' people from having sex if they want to, so I think the best thing is to accept it and make sure that they are provided with proper sex education and contraception.

Sorry for the incoherance, these were just random thoughta.

The thing is these CHILDREN who are having sex age 11, 12, and even yuonger. I believe it can be prevented. There was no way i would have been able to have sex at that age - my parents wouldn't let me out of their sights at that age and I will be the same with my children. You only have one chilhood and it doesn't last long and I think children should cherish while they can. You are an adult for a long, long time and in that time you can have sex as much as you like - children should not have sex in my opinion.
Reply 93
magiccarpet
do you think with good middle class parenting the kids would be doing this? no they'd be doing maths with a home tutor

I really don't think class has anything to do with it. I am working class but my parents didn't let me get on with things. They never let me out of their sight. It is ridiculous that you can even suggest that. :mad:
Im quite sure alot of underage sex is linked to underage alcohol and other drug use - one thing leads to another and before you know a new parent is born. Tightening up of alcohol selling in shops...for example....gangs of youths hanging around shops late at night - more policing and control in these areas where youths could get hold of drinks...get a bit drunk and do something as a result...like having sex
wizard
Im quite sure alot of underage sex is linked to underage alcohol and other drug use - one thing leads to another and before you know a new parent is born. Tightening up of alcohol selling in shops...for example....gangs of youths hanging around shops late at night - more policing and control in these areas where youths could get hold of drinks...get a bit drunk and do something as a result...like having sex

you'e got a point

this whole trend of kids "daisychaining" is usually drink-fuelled

i mena where are kids aged 12/13 getting the alcohol from?
Reply 96
xXMessedUpXx
you'e got a point

this whole trend of kids "daisychaining" is usually drink-fuelled

i mena where are kids aged 12/13 getting the alcohol from?

What are the parents of these 12/13 year olds doing when their kids are out drinking and having sex!

Argh it annoys me!
Amongst some parents...theres a rather laissez-faire attitude with alcohol perhaps - very irresponsble...."let the boy have a drink...he needs to get used to it...he'll soon be a young man" - that kind of thought amongst some parents? All part of masculinity and masculine ideals....i think another problem is reachability of alcohol...for example, is the alcohol positioned/located in the house so as to be out-of-bounds for any young tempted hands? Similar to putting cigarettes high up for young children and babies...the same should apply to young teenagers with alcohol.
Reply 98
If they both consent then what does it have to do with you?
Reply 99
mik1w
If they both consent then what does it have to do with you?

The children who are having sex now have nothing to do with me, but when it is my children it has everything to do with me and that was partly my reasoning for making the thread. Thinking what the world will be like when I have children.

Latest

Trending

Trending