The Student Room Group

do you have to give ur uniform back when u leave work

??
if so, when do u do it as youll be wearing some of it on your last day??

also, do u just ask ur manager for a reference on ur last day? do mcdonalds do references?
Why would you want a Maccy D uniform? Missus has dressing up fantasies?
freeuser
??

also, do u just ask ur manager for a reference on ur last day? do mcdonalds do references?

Yip you gotta give it back, you just hand it in as soon as you can after your first shift. If you don't give it back they have the right to deduct money from your final pay to cover the cost of it. McDs don't do refs. :smile:
Reply 3
It's probably in your contract that you are required to return your uniform and any other company belongings such as safety knives.

freeuser
??

Well, they don't expect you to get naked in-store. Either take a change of clothes and keep them in your locker if you have one, or go in sometime in the week following your leaving date and hand it in then.

freeuser

No, you don't. If you go to apply for another job, that employer will contact McDonald's for a reference if they would like one.

McDonald's, like every other company, will hand out references upon request, yes.
It's maybe different for every McDs so you maybe best check with yours, mine I know does not do refs.
Reply 5
RandomGirly
It's maybe different for every McDs so you maybe best check with yours, mine I know does not do refs.

Have you tried applying for a job elsewhere only for that employer to turn around and say that McDonald's wouldn't give them a reference?

I'd be very very surprised if that's the case.

Or do you mean that you personally asked McDonald's for a reference and they wouldn't give you one?
DarkWhite
Have you tried applying for a job elsewhere only for that employer to turn around and say that McDonald's wouldn't give them a reference?

I'd be very very surprised if that's the case.

Or do you mean that you personally asked McDonald's for a reference and they wouldn't give you one?

I still work there, so I haven't personally asked for a reference. but I do know people who have, and all our restaurant will give is a letter to confirm that you were employed there and the dates - they won't say anything about you personally. If you work in a Company owned McDonalds they will give you a ref, but the franchised ones (like mine) don't have to if they don't want to. Basically if you work in a franchised McDs the best thing to do is just ask what their reference procedure is.
Reply 7
I worked for a care company , I was only there 3 weeks , I handed back the uniform all laundered , 1 tunic I didn't even wear , but they are still charging me for it all , can they do this ?
Original post by Tracey65
I worked for a care company , I was only there 3 weeks , I handed back the uniform all laundered , 1 tunic I didn't even wear , but they are still charging me for it all , can they do this ?

Yes, if the contract/joining paperwork said that you had to pay for your uniform. What did you sign for when you started?

The only person who can answer this is you by reading over your contract of employment to check if they will.

Legally they can't make deductions if it'll take you under NMW apart from those required by law.

I dont think they can. Not if you handed it all back.
Double check you contract though to make sure it doesnt say anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending