The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i went to the open day, it was cool, but it didn't particularly stand out for me - it didn't have any 'oomph'. i didn't dislike it, but the reality didn't live up to the expectation i guess, i was expecting a lot more as a mate had just got back from a week's course there and couldn't stop going on about how amazing it was, then again the engineering department may well have something that the maths department didn't.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I have been to Exeter and Nottingham open days now, Nottingham impressed me more as it seemed alot nicer and the campus was huge giving a sense of freedom while still feeling safe (i felt exeter was a bit cramped) the geography course seemed really good with good travelling opportunities with universitas 21. I only had time to visit Cripps Hall which wasnt very nice (exeter's room was nice but the halls and kitchen werent) however i am looking at self catered so broadgate park would be better. The sports facilities at Nottingham were good even though Nottingham isnt that prominent a sports university whereas Exeter is. Overall i think Nottingham will be in my top 3 but exeter will probably be 4th/5th due to it being so far away from where i live. Where does everyone else want to apply to ? For me it is Bristol, Exeter,Nottingham , St. Andrews and Leeds .
I looked around it, expecting to hate the uni but found I really liked the place. I was looking at the Politics course and thought the talk given was interesting and the lecture afterwards was the kind of thing that I could defiantly see myself doing for three years. Also the chance of travelling abroad is something I would most certainly want to do, especially as Nottingham is in discussions with Columbia to set up an exchange partnership.
Nfixlol
i went to the open day, it was cool, but it didn't particularly stand out for me - it didn't have any 'oomph'. i didn't dislike it, but the reality didn't live up to the expectation i guess, i was expecting a lot more as a mate had just got back from a week's course there and couldn't stop going on about how amazing it was, then again the engineering department may well have something that the maths department didn't.

Can't blame you in a sense because with Maths there wasn't really much to see apart from the Othello exhibition .I was one of the tour guides showing people round the Physics department and pointing out all of the wonderful facilities and research labs we have.Did spend a bit of time over in the Maths department stand with the current undergraduates speaking to a few people , so you may have seen me.(the joys of doing a joint honours course!)
Reply 24
I liked the sound of the course but didn't really like the university despite really wanting to, I know a girl who goes there already and she really likes it, but I just didn't really like the atmosphere or the buildings and couldn't see myself there, but obviously thats just my opinion and I reckon more people will like it than won't
Reply 25
I went - it's my firm for 09 and felt like having another look.

Did anyone else go to that chemistry display at 1?
The thing is, some people seem to have been to universities they've fallen in love with, and although I would say I really liked Nottingham, I didn't love it. I don't really see how you could from an open day to be honest, since open days are pretty superficial and how 'friendly' or 'welcoming' they seem probably doesn't reflect to how the university really is.

scienta potestas est
...Where does everyone else want to apply to ? For me it is Bristol, Exeter,Nottingham , St. Andrews and Leeds .

Interesting since I wanted to go to the Exeter open day, the only thing which puts me off is that fact that I've heard the town is pretty boring.

I don't really want to make any firm decisions about where I apply to before results day, I don't want to set my heart on applying to Bristol/Nottingham and then get B's/C's for AS :p: Although presuming I get my predictions roughly, I will also apply to Bristol, Nottingham, and Exeter. Then probably two out of: Southampton, York, Leicester and Cardiff :smile:
Reply 27
I went yesterday and could ony see myself living in Broadgate Park if I do go there, but it'll probably fill up very easily. I was impressed with the course I was looking at (Russian), but because I go to a dodgy school I felt a bit out of place and common there somehow.
I went but only to familiarise myself with the place before September. I love it anyway, although I was a bit disappointed that the accommodation didn't offer a shared study to look round.
Meliae
I went and I liked it - more than I thought I would. (I wrote about it in more detail on another thread). Surroundings were nice, course seemed good, lots of opportunities to do other things (internships, languages etc).

The accomodation I saw (Cripps, Lenton and Wortley, Lincoln) didn't look good though... Also the price of accomodation exceeded the loan available. I don't really know how typical these things are of other unis though. Does anyone know if Nottingham's accomodation is similar/better/worse than halls at other unis and how the price compares?

The libraries in the halls were pretty weird too. Full of ancient books in locked glass cabinets of the sort you might see looking around a castle or stately home (which no-one actually lives in anymore). I'd be surprised if anyone actually used the majority of those books. Not really sure why they were there.

The accomidation, compared to most unis, is fairly good. You get a decent sized room and the facilities are fine, the fact its in halls is good as well because you get immidetate loyaltys to your 'hall' and block. Nobody uses the hall libary books, generally, but they are really good places to go and relax and study.

Oh, and did anybody go to te politics bit of the open day on friday? What did you think?
Reply 30
DominF
I didn't go. I've already attended the uni for a year, seemed a bit pointless.

Haha I went to it and I've been there a year!

Did anyone come to the Economics stand in the marquee? You might have talked to me :p:
WharfedaleTiger

Oh, and did anybody go to te politics bit of the open day on friday? What did you think?

I went Saturday and saw the Revolting MP's taster lecture, I'd seen the other talk about studying Politics at Nottingham when I went in april. I thought it was fantastic and reaffirmed my belief that I've chosen the best course at the best uni for me.
Reply 32
kingharry666
I looked around it, expecting to hate the uni but found I really liked the place. I was looking at the Politics course and thought the talk given was interesting and the lecture afterwards was the kind of thing that I could defiantly see myself doing for three years. Also the chance of travelling abroad is something I would most certainly want to do, especially as Nottingham is in discussions with Columbia to set up an exchange partnership.

Can you tell me more about this exchange with Columbia as I missed the open day? What did they say about it?
I'd like to say to all the people who think the accommodation is rubbish - seriously once you're stuff is in it is honestly fine. I never had a problem and nor did any of the people I know.

Don't put too much emphasis on the accommodation when you choose your uni (unless it's REALLY disgusting) because it's the people you meet that are the important thing.

I lived in Cripps btw
cunningstunt87
I went Saturday and saw the Revolting MP's taster lecture, I'd seen the other talk about studying Politics at Nottingham when I went in april. I thought it was fantastic and reaffirmed my belief that I've chosen the best course at the best uni for me.

Sounds good then mate, nice to hear you enjoyed it. I would point out that all the lectures won't be as interesting, but a lot will.
WharfedaleTiger
Sounds good then mate, nice to hear you enjoyed it. I would point out that all the lectures won't be as interesting, but a lot will.

I can't wait to start. What are the seminars like as obviously you can't get a taste for those at the open day?
cunningstunt87
I can't wait to start. What are the seminars like as obviously you can't get a taste for those at the open day?

Depends what you put into them and whose taking them. Mostly they're enjoyable but you need to be active in them to get the most out of it. Test yourself. Argue. A lot of people go to them and sit in the corner being quiet, which isn't the way to learn really.
Reply 37
Mr Snips
I went - it's my firm for 09 and felt like having another look.

Did anyone else go to that chemistry display at 1?

I did..It was great.I really liked it-all those explosions..Cool stuff:smile:)
WharfedaleTiger
Depends what you put into them and whose taking them. Mostly they're enjoyable but you need to be active in them to get the most out of it. Test yourself. Argue. A lot of people go to them and sit in the corner being quiet, which isn't the way to learn really.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice.
Reply 39
I really liked Nottingham, especially it's lovely new Music department :smile: But also the campus, the course.. the accommodation wasn't great but that isn't that important, you're in accommodation for under a year.

Latest

Trending

Trending