The Student Room Group

How long should I wait?

Basically, my boyfriend just broke up with me.
It may sound ridiculous but I'm actually quite pleased because it was getting to a pretty crap point and to be honest, I'm glad it's over and hopefully it won't hit me and I'll stay feeling this way.

So, this other guy likes me and has done for a while, and i like him but I wouldn't go there as I had a boyfriend so I tried to ignore those feelings. I think, if things work out well, we will date or something.. but I was wondering how long should i wait? I know I just got dumped by my boyfriend and wouldn't want it to seem like a rebound thing.

Thinking about it, this thread probably seems silly, but I didn't know who else to talk to - so I though I would ask the lovely people of TSR! :yep:

views?

Scroll to see replies

Laurahhz
It may sound ridiculous but I'm actually quite pleased because it was getting to a pretty crap point and to be honest, I'm glad it's over and hopefully it won't hit me and I'll stay feeling this way.

So, this other guy likes me and has done for a while, and i like him but I wouldn't go there as I had a boyfriend so I tried to ignore those feelings. I think, if things work out well, we will date or something.. but I was wondering how long should i wait? I know I just got dumped by my boyfriend and wouldn't want it to seem like a rebound thing.

Thinking about it, this thread probably seems silly, but I didn't know who else to talk to - so I though I would ask the lovely people of TSR! :yep:

views?

You should follow your feelings and go out with this new guy. Your feelings will guide you to the right person.
It doesn't matter if everyone else thinks it's a rebound thing if it's not :smile:

Wait as long as you feel necessary. A few weeks maybe? It's not like you're having a hard time coping with the relationship break down :dontknow:
maybe a few weeks before you start seeing eachother.. that seems sensible.

don't do what i do and get off with them the day after :facepalm:
Reply 4
A day or two.
Reply 5
Move on as soon as possible. It's easier and you won't have a chance to "miss" your ex, regret or think about him as there's something new going on in your life.
Reply 6
i am in the EXACT situation as you! i'm going to leave it a few weeks but go for it!!!
Reply 7
chloe_tee
i am in the EXACT situation as you! i'm going to leave it a few weeks but go for it!!!

aha well good luck to you too ^^ x
Reply 8
if your not worried about what other people think-i.e that he's a rebound boyfriend, then i think that you should just go for it. at the end of the day, only you can know for sure if its the right thing to do.
I hear the acceptable waiting period is, approximately, however long it takes for your ex to turn his back.
:dontknow:

Er, as you said, you don't want other dude to think you're just using him as a rebound... I'd say... a week? Two weeks? And make sure you stay sociable and talk to other guys and stuff.
That is, if you care what other people think...
Reply 10
Who cares what others think?
Go for it. Just be sure before you do that you are confident you and this other lad will work if you went out with eachother.
Life's to short to wait
I was in that situation and I went from one relationship to another in about 2 weeks but I was genuinely relieved when me and the first ex broke up and had had these feelings for the new guy for ages, so I reassured him that he wasn't a rebound and all was good! People did talk though, but I really didn't care.
I think a little break may be good for you, at least just to allow you to get some perspective on everything and take some time for yourself, which can never be a bad thing really.

Still talk to the guy, get to know him more and see where things go, when you feel ready go for it, no two people are the same so there is no set time to wait. :smile:
Reply 13
Laurahhz

views?

Do you want to date the other guy because you like him, or because you miss the good parts of the previous relationship ?
Reply 14
get straight out shaggin
I agree with the others. Who cares what they think. Don't let your ex relationship determine how you now live!

You could wait too long and your potential new guy will have found someone else.
Reply 16
ttx
Do you want to date the other guy because you like him, or because you miss the good parts of the previous relationship ?

i do like the other guy yeah.
the good parts of the previous relationship.. it had a lack of good parts. but i understand what you're saying, it's a good point.
Reply 17
1tadakimasu
I agree with the others. Who cares what you think. Don't let your ex relationship determine how you now live!

You could wait too long and your potential new guy will have found someone else.

:yep: i'm liking that logic.
Reply 18
Laurahhz
aha well good luck to you too ^^ x

Thanks! you as well! x
Reply 19
Laurahhz

views?

get to know him a bit more and see if you really like him.

Latest

Trending

Trending