The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im half black half white..i say the black bit first as that is what people see when they look at me. my features are mixed, green/brown eyes with blonde/brown hair and brown skin..people can be very ignorant at times but at the end of the day i was born right here in england my mum was born here my father was born abroad( the island of st.kitts in the caribbean- which was later INVADED BY BRITS to become a british island) so when i am told to return to my country i reply with some speech of their ancestors not returning when so and so etc. when i am called a N***** i dont take it to heart what else have they got to comment on and when they assume i am dumb-due to my colour, i say well am not that dumb to be at university.
anyway point being forget it, dont let it get to you,im sure there are bigger issues in your life than people attempting to discriminate on a forum.

PS- the majority of holiday makers also go abroad to gain a TAN, to be browner, to have that 'healthy look'. something i might add i already have and assuming you do too.
I do get a little upset at some of the posts here. It makes me wonder who in real life thinks that way about me and it really makes me hate the way I am sometimes.
Reply 82
Oh, shut up.
Reply 83
Not hurt, just exasperated. It gets very boring.
Reply 84
Not really the people on here dont really represent the whole of Uk i got to an all white school and get on very well with other students but you get the occasional comment but i learnt to look past it and i dont judge everyone by what one person says dont worry!
Reply 85
Anonymous
I normally wouldn't post a thread about races on here, since there's so many of them and people get fed up.

But do any ethnic minorities feel a bit targeted when people make threads about non-white people "belonging in their own country"? To me, I'm English. I'm Indian by race, but I've been born and brought up in England, and my values and customs aren't very "Indian-like", but more "English-like".

In school/college/Uni I always counted the number of ethnic minority people in the class and feel a bit "different" and threatened because of it.

Does anyone feel quite hurt when threads like those are posted?

I know, I know, it's just the internet. But I post on here regularly and to see quite a lot of white people who agree with the white supremacy sentiments upsets me a little. It makes me wonder if random people I know in real life in my classes/around my Uni who I know feel the same way.

No it does not upset me I am indian and now matter how much you or other indians say we are not english! We are indian I feel that white people are being a lot more accepted towards us than if lots of white people went to india. They would not be made very welcome at all.
lella_m
Oh, shut up.

Why should I? I does upset me that some people think that way.
It's only TSR so I don't care what they say. Everyone has their own opinions. I dont take it to heart.
Reply 88
Anonymous
I normally wouldn't post a thread about races on here, since there's so many of them and people get fed up.

But do any ethnic minorities feel a bit targeted when people make threads about non-white people "belonging in their own country"? To me, I'm English. I'm Indian by race, but I've been born and brought up in England, and my values and customs aren't very "Indian-like", but more "English-like".

In school/college/Uni I always counted the number of ethnic minority people in the class and feel a bit "different" and threatened because of it.

Does anyone feel quite hurt when threads like those are posted?

I know, I know, it's just the internet. But I post on here regularly and to see quite a lot of white people who agree with the white supremacy sentiments upsets me a little. It makes me wonder if random people I know in real life in my classes/around my Uni who I know feel the same way.

Why have you gone anon? The way I see it is that if you're born here then you're British simple as that. If your parents are immigrants you're not ethnically English, Scottish etc. but you're still British.
lella_m
Oh, shut up.

:ditto:

To the OP:

Everyone has been subjected to abuse of one kind or another, do you think only 'ethnic minorities' as you called them have been victims of racism?

God no, as I said earlier my area is mainly Asian and I have on many occasions been racially abused, do I cry about it? No, I am more intelligent than them so I let them have their fun because when it comes down to it why would I care what a few people think.
Thomasmc135
:ditto:

To the OP:

Everyone has been subjected to abuse of one kind or another, do you think only 'ethnic minorities' as you called them have been victims of racism?

God no, as I said earlier my area is mainly Asian and I have on many occasions been racially abused, do I cry about it? No, I am more intelligent than them so I let them have their fun because when it comes down to it why would I care what a few people think.

Racially abused in Redbridge? That's the first I've heard of racism in the area :confused: PS. I live in Redbridge.
temptationsu
Racially abused in Redbridge? That's the first I've heard of racism in the area :confused: PS. I live in Redbridge.

Are you kidding? It is so rife around Ilford, I live in Barkingside but have go to Seven Kings school and racism is common. I've had some people in yr 9 get racist and what can I do? I can hardly hit them or I'll lose my 6th form spot.
jakemittle
Meh' if they feel what they feel its their problem..
I'm black, but I dont let it get to me..besides, if everyone tolerated everyone, the world would be boring..

As long as you're happy with your race, then thats all that matters :smile:

you mean you dont let the fact that your black get you down congratz
Words on the Internet never hurt me. There are always going to be people like that, it's life. I'm a weird mix and I don't care what anyone says, really. Don't get worked up over something like this.
Thomasmc135
Are you kidding? It is so rife around Ilford, I live in Barkingside but have go to Seven Kings school and racism is common. I've had some people in yr 9 get racist and what can I do? I can hardly hit them or I'll lose my 6th form spot.

I do agree there is racism in Ilford but not any in Redbridge, well I haven't heard any stories.

Any way chin up lad.
If you are you need to grow a ******* skin AND/OR debating skills.
Agreed, if you get hurt by a post on an internet forum, you have bigger issues to deal with.
Bubbles*de*Milo
It's not the same thing.

To be English is a racial thing, it's your blood. You have to be White, Anglo-Saxon...

To be British is anyone born in this country/raised/acquires citizenship etc... but it's not an ethnicity like English is (I know English isn't an ethnicity/race as such, I can't remember the word).

You can be black British, Asian british... but not Black English or Asian English or whatever. All English people are British, but not all British people are English.

a) proper citation please, before I believe it.
b) also, providing you can't I assert that i am a Non-White English individual.
I am of mixed race. With "English" blood. And happy about it.
Someone bring forth govt policy/legialation/SC rulings and i shall revise my assertion. :biggrin:
Reply 98
I wish more people would conform to stereotypes so I could be more brazenly racist.
TsarinaMeg
a) proper citation please, before I believe it.
b) also, providing you can't I assert that i am a Non-White English individual.
I am of mixed race. With "English" blood. And happy about it.
Someone bring forth govt policy/legialation/SC rulings and i shall revise my assertion. :biggrin:

a) I don't need to cite it, it's a fact. That's like asking me to cite that the sky is blue, and if you read down you'll see several people concurred with me.
b) The whole, if you're a halfy are you English is an argument I cba to get into. I guess it's up to you what you call yourself, I'm a halfy and I don't call myself English but I guess it's up to you.

The fact is though that British is not the same as English.

Latest

Trending

Trending